close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I'll be headed out on Saturday...

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by UFM82, Jul 12, 2004.

1. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

in the new ride for its inaugural catfish trip. Reading the boards here doesn't get me real excited though. Apparently the fishing recently has stunk pretty bad. If you guys are getting killed, I don't have a chance. :(

Anyway, any tips on bait? Skips in the discharges? Shad in Tanners? Nightcrawlers at WalMart? What say you gurus?

I'll be taking out my bass buddy and a friend of his/ours. They both catfished in the years gone by but haven't done it in a long time. I keep telling them that the river is a great fishery but it might not pan out this time! Man, it seems awfully tough out there right now. Gars? Little or even no fish? Bait tough to find? Jeez, it sounds bad! :eek:

Any ideas as to what to try? If I take fishyguy's words to heart, I may just stop catfishing altogether.

UFM82

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Stunk is not the word for it, depressing fits it better..I keep saying I am going to lay off the fishing till mid-late august, but I keep going back for some insane reason.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I will say this I have used fresh cut shad for weeks and not a hit. Time for a different bait I think?

4. UFM82

Shrimp? Squid? Livers? Little fish baits, yes, but a little fish is better than no fish.

I'll try to get fresh bait of course but it seems as though the fresh isn't working. Do ya'll think the cicada feast screwed up the fishing at all? Maybe the fish just aren't hungry yet! LOL

Heck, who knows? I realize that this time of year tends to slow a bit, but it seems worse than normal. I'll give it a shot and waste my time anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky. One of the guys I am taking with me is the luckiest SOB I have ever fished with, so maybe he'll pull through for me.

UFM82

At least I'll get to run the boat on the river. That will be fun in itself.

5. The fish being caught have been hitting "fresh" cut shad. Look around the bend from the ramp in the deeper water. You know the spot. What time are you heading out?

Slip

6. UFM82

I want to have enough time to get bait, play with the boat a bit, ( as in fun play), and then scout a spot to try first. I want a few hours of daylight before I settle in.

Gonna be out? Look for the white/teal Pro Line with the big goofy looking dude in it. It says "Candy Baby" on the side. I swear it was there before I bought it. :D

Hopefully we'll slime her Saturday night.

UFM82

7. catking

catking Banned

Not that it will help UFM to catch fish, but try cheese filled hot dogs :cool: Hey, freakin laugh fishless............ :p squid sounds pretty good also ;) Good Luck to you, you'll need it........................ DA KING !!!