close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I pulled my hamstring

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BKent, May 11, 2005.

1. BKent

BKent Blacklick Creek Resident

:mad:

Playing softball last night. First at bat I hit a line drive single. Next batter hits a ground ball, I'm 3/4 of the way to second base when I feel a "pop" in my right leg, in the back between my knee and my butt.

Immediatly following that I get a burning sensation and pain. Tried to play on but couldn't do it.

Any advice? Last night when I got home I took Ibuprofen and iced it. I can walk with a limp but if I move my leg wrong I get a sharp pain in the same spot...

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Sounds like a hammie pull. You did the right thhing by icing. Now you need to keep off it as much as possible. Have fun sleeping. I pulled one last fall. It sucked.

3. It sounds like you are on the right track that it most likely is a pulled hamstring. If you are lucky it is not any worse than a pull. I have had a few hamstrings pulls over the years and even had a torn hamstring once. I can tell you that if it was a significant tear then you would probably be exeperiencing a good bit more pain. Mine tore to the point where I had a big black and blue blood spot on the back of my leg within a day or so where the blood settled. I would suggest to take it very easy on it the next few days and continue the icing for another day. Do not attempt to stretch it much for a few days as that will irritate it. If you get the blood buildup like I mentioned then you will want to put the ball on the back burner for most of the summer and get more fishing time in.;) Even if it is only a pull it can be a real hassle to get back to normal. I would suggest allowing it to heal to where walking is painless and then begin doing some long stride walking to lengthen the muscle back out. You should start doing some stretching as well. This may be painful at first but it is necessary to get the muscles lengthened back out or you will be right back where you are now. I would not attempt any running until I was able to move pretty much pain free on it. Start by jogging on it for a few days to see how that goes before giving it any real test. And don't give up on the stretching as that is the biggest preventive factor that you can do. The bottom line on a hamstring injury is to be patient because they don't heal quickly.

Good luck and I hope you find something here useful.

4. BKent

Thanks guys, any idea on how long recovery averages?

I have a game next Tuesday that I'm guessing I'll be sitting out on, but my team needs me and I don't want to miss too much...

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I concur with bkr. If your skin has become really bruised in the back it means that it is pretty bad, and could possibly be a tear. If it doesn't feel any better in a week or two you should see a Dr. My little brother thought he pulled his, and it turned out that he tore it a litte. If it is a tear it takes weeks to heal.

6. It is tough for any of us to make the call for you on whether to play or not. If it is indeed only a pull you may be okay to play next week. If you do decide to play do not make the game be your next attempt at testing it. You will want to stretch it out good and start in slow. If you play you will probably want to take it easy on it anyway.

7. Where do you play at on Tuesday nights? I'm not sure about how long it takes to heal I've never pulled one(knock on wood). Just hit the ball far enough that you can walk around the bases or atleast to first and then have a pinch runner. Good luck with the recovery.

8. catking

catking Banned

Man ya gotta be careful !!! Don't rush it . Some guys take the hamstring pull as something minor. It can be , but it can also linger for months if you don't rest it ............. Dr. King !!! .............. :D

9. i have pulled my hamstring 2 times. i was running to 1st when i heard a pop. by the 3rd week i was walking and jumping. so i tryed to play ball again. i could not belive it then my hamstring pop again. this time it took 8 weeks befor i got better. bottom line is.....take your time and get your rest!!!!

10. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Sounds like you tore it to me.

Most people think you only have 1 hamstring in each leg, you actually have 4 in each. I am an expert on hamstrings because I detached mine. While running extremely aggressively, I detatached ALL of mine in myright leg. It felt like a window blind when you pulll it down and let go. The entire hamstring balled up in the cheek of my butt and was the size of a baseball. My entire leg filled with blood and from my groin to my ankle was black and blue. The doctor said it was better tnan any textbook example he'd ever seen. It took about 6 monthes for the black and blue to go away and another 2 years for the hamstring to grow back.

11. BKent

Well good news I guess.

I don't have any bruising at all. I drove home from work today without any pain at all. It's still a little sore, I just got done icing it while I watched Lost.

I play at Whetstone Park (Park of the Roses) tuesday's at either 6:15 or 7:15...

My plan is to wait until I can walk normally pain free, then stretching and jogging. No I know why I always started out stretching before my games in High School, aren't you supposed to gain wisdom as you age? :rolleyes:

12. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

stretching before a workout is an old wives tale. Stretch WHILE you are recovering is the key.

13. You need to stretch before any extented excercise to get the blood moving which helps expand your muscles and fill them with blood which is why its called warm ups...
    If I were you I would wrap my thighs real good so that the hamstring cannot be stretched out as easy... Once you pull/tear a hammy they are never the same... Its like stretching a rubber band they tend to not be as good as before... I know you did not tear yours but it is weakend and the next problem could be a tear so try to avoid it...
    I ripped mine up pretty bad years ago playing softball and it ended my playing days don't let that hap'n to you too...

14. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Ask Griffey JR or Juan Gonzalez! How many months have they missed in the lasy few years due to pulled hammies?

15. That is far from being an old wive's tale although I agree that stretching during recovery is key as well. But stretching before any exercise program is vital. Also a very important thing that many overlook is the need to stretch after exercising. At this time your muscles are warm and loose and it is easier to exetend the muscles further. What happens is your muscles get used to being short and are not receptive to exertion that lengthens them. What happens then is your muscle will fight itself and cause a strain or tear. Here is another thing that I was told a few years back that I believe to be true about stretching that may be of interest to even those who do not exercise. Many people who complain of back pain and even foot pain can attribute some or all of their problem to muscles being to bound up. When your hamstrings tighten and shorten they put stress on your lower back at all times. This continued stress will result in back pain. Every now and then my lower back starts to give me problems and I am reminded that I need to keep up my stretching. Several years ago I have a bout with plantar fasciitis which is a painful inflammation of the fascia that runs through the arch of the foot. The calf muscle when tight puts constant tension on the arch causing stress. The doctor highly recommended stretching the calves on a regular basis and it really seemed to help.

Here is a link that I just found quickly that describes the different degrees of hamstring pulls. It seems to have a lot of good info.

Hamstring Strain

16. Here is another link that is pretty informative.

Hamstring Muscle Strain

By the way there is a section in there that fully supports what the doctors told me about back pain.

Preventing hamstring injury

The best way to prevent a hamstring injury is to stretch, both before and after an activity. Weak or tight hamstrings can contribute to low back pain, so doing exercises to strengthen and stretch the hamstrings may also reduce your risk of low back pain.

Sit down and straighten your left leg. The sole of your right foot should rest next to the inside of your straightened leg. Lean slightly forward and touch your foot with your fingers. Keep your left foot upright with the ankle and toes relaxed. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with right leg.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  17. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I saw a large study done in I think the military, and the conclusions were that stretching before exercising did nothing to reduce the amount of injuries. Sorry, can't remember where I read it, might have been a newspaper article or something.

18. catking

catking Banned

Then my question would be ---Why do most if not ALL the fitness programs start out with a stretching program before they start their morning routines? And these are professional trainers .... ( I'm talkin the ones on cable TV )....... Also , baseball players always pull there hamstrings due to the fact that they are #1 muscular &#2 they go from sitting on the bench to sprinting down the first base line running out a ground ball. Happens all the time.....THE CATKING !!! :)

19. My neighbor who does triathalons says that you should not stretch cold muscles, you should just warm up by walking and then go into a light jog and then your run or what ever exercise you are doing. Then you should stretch really good after you are done. He does a full iron man every year, 3 mile swim 112 mile bike ride and 26 mile run, so he know what he is doing. He runs about 40 miles a week bikes several hundred miles and swims at least once a week! :eek: Think of all the fishing time he loses;)

20. catking

catking Banned

That makes more sense to me twistertail ............THE CATKING !!! :cool: