Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy, or just ignorant? I decided to do a little bit of fishing at Riverside park in Findlay yesterday and twice, I saw a creature that I could only describe as an otter. Like a large, dark squirrel, but with a slender furry tail, not bushy. It was running along the rocks near the old reservoir... right in the middle of town.

I've never seen an otter outside of a zoo, and honestly didn't know they were a thing in Ohio, but a google search shows that North American River Otters are indeed native to Ohio. But in a public park in the middle of a city?

Unfortunately, my hands were full with my gear both times that I saw it, so I couldn't snap a pic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is very possible that there was an otter there. We have seen them a couple years ago around Sycamore creek , but most likely it was a mink. The otters seemed to move on fairly quickly and haven't been spotted in quite awhile now.

·
Banned
6,703 Posts
Google The Courier/Jim Abrams he wrote a research story a couple weeks ago. Matter of fact I often wonder if he would write for OGF?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another possibility is a mink.
That is a possibility, yes. Around the same size, I suppose. I think what I saw was fatter than the average mink though, and the tail was thicker.

Google The Courier/Jim Abrams he wrote a research story a couple weeks ago. Matter of fact I often wonder if he would write for OGF?
Google fu shows articles from last year at the most recent... so idk what I'm supposed to be finding.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I certainly would be too surprised it was a otter.
I see river Otters in the Little Miami rv , E- frk and several minor tributaries on a regular basis, numbers have really been increasing rapidly at least on Ohio rv tribs.
Good luck and good fishing !

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I bet it was an otter, I see them from time to time in Paint Creek here in southern Ohio. They were introduced in east and North East Ohio first

·
Registered
67 Posts
Likely an otter. Otters have been in the St Joe and Tiffin rivers in extreme NW Ohio in fair numbers for a few years. The Blanchard and both of these rivers are Maumee tributaries.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
I've seen beaver in downtown Cleveland. I dont think it matter if it's a city if it has a habitat they like.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Otters are huge. I have seen a decent amount all over the northeast and south east part of the state. Minks and muskrats are much more common but I would not be surprised if you saw an otter

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
There is a creek that runs out of Meander reservoir and runs next to Kerr's cemetery in Weathersfield township and I have seen otters in it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts