close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

i still have questions!!!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by shorebound, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I have just recently started to "dub" material on to my flies. The only problem i have is after two or three fish smack it, it looks like a hook with thread wrapped around it with little or no material left any thoughts. My other question is Cabelas has this combo on sale http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat603670&hasJS=true
    I am using a 6'7" crappie rod now and not sure what weight to get either i usually use it for bluegill and bass. i do hit the rivers in the fall for steelies any suggestions would be great
    thanks

2. I use a three forks 7'6" 3wt all the time. I really enjoy fishing with it. I'm not sure on the other sizes and weights but the 3wt is a really good rod in my opinion. They also have that rod with a prestige plus reel and line on sale for $10 more. That is a much better deal and will help you get started quicker.
    Janus

3. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

you are not twisting the dubbing on there right. you need to twist it tight. seach you tube for tips on dubbing.

4. Yup, get that dubbing tighter. A well dubbed fly should be very durable.

As for the rod choice...don't think you'll go wrong with one of those outfits to start with at all.

As for what weight to use, seriously consider what your fishing for NOW. I would think a 3 or 4 wt would be fine if your hitting panfish and bass. If you stick with it, you end up buying another set-up for steelhead...at least I would, it won't be a whole lot of fun catching panfish and bass with a 7 or 8 weight...unless your catching 20" plus bass.

5. tieoneon

tieoneon Anything On a Fly

If you are right handed apply a small amount of dubbing to the thread (you don't want too much b/c it will not twist onto the thread properly). Twist the dubbing onto the thread towards the right between your thumb and index finger of your right hand until it is tight (only twist in one direction). After the dubbing is tight on the thread spin your bobbin in the same direction about 20 times (this will help the dubbing become tighter on the thread and allow it to lay more evenly on the hook with out weird bumps). Give this a try to see if it will help the problem.

6. Shorebound - What's your budget for the rod & reel? If you have been FFing with a Crappie rod, it sounds like you're serious. I would highly recommend that you go over to Mad River Outfitters and try the TFO Pro series and the Orvis Clearwater II series of rods. Both run between $150 to $190 and both are very good rods. I have cast the TFP 3 & 6 wts., and the Clearwater 5 wt, 2pc and own the 6 wt, 4pc. I chose the $189 Orvis 6 wt. over a $250 rod and a $315 rod, and not just because of the price. There is no substitute for casting a rod yourself, it truly is an individual thing.

As for weights - a 3wt. is a great rod and will handle panfish, smaller Bass, and even the occasional Carp (now that is fun). The drawback is the size of fly you can cast. If you like the ability to go with a little larger fly, go with a 5wt. Personally, I would go 8'6" for both of these. For Steelies, go 7 or 8 wt. and no shorter than 9'.

7. thanks for all the advice ... i will try the dubbing tips when i sit down and tie again and thanks for all the advice on the rod s and reels i'm going to be getting a rod in the fall so it will be a little bit but the advice that you guys gave helps alot when shopping

8. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I twist my dubbing clockwise like they say in one direction. twist it up tight then wrap. don't be afraid to twist the dubbing tighter after every wrap or 2 to make sure its tight. this also works for me. as for the rod suggestion for steel the smallest i would go would be a 7wt. then for bass and gills a 5wt although i have a 3wt for gills and bass that works good too.