I Really Don't Get Marvin Lewis

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 15, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm about as confused as to Marvin Lewis right now as I ever have been. The Bengals are down 20-13 versus the 49'ers. There is 3:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter, your on the 50 yard line. It's 4th and 2. You have the best WR's in the NFL. What do you do? You punt?

Yesterday Lewis made some remark about not being responsible for the defense. This is after last year when he said "Write this down.... our defense will be better. Granted this year, they are better but no where near what he promised or lead on to be. I for one think Lewis needs to not only take some of the responsibility but MOST of the responsibility. He was suspose to be this defensive guru. Has he lost his fire?

I know most folks didn't even get tonights game since it was on the NFL Network and not on Time Warner, so most people won't notice this 4th down call. I can tell you though, that even the announcers were shocked.

I have really questioned Lewis alot this year. I can honestly say at this point, I sort of hope the Bengals loose out. I think Lewis needs to be on the hot seat. Hopefully, those Washington Redskins Head Coaching job rumors are true. I'd love to see the Bengals get a 1st round pick for Lewis to coach elsewhere.

I know some of the Bengal fans are going to disagree, but guys, come on. What has Lewsi really shown? The answer is that he is just barely an above average coach. I don't think that is going to cut it, if the Bengals are to ever turn that corner and contend :mad:

2. Maybe Lewis is just in over his head? That team is exceptional on the offensive side of the ball but the defense is disgusting. Watching the 49ers go up and down the field, with a 3rd string qb, was sad at best. I know that they are banged up, especially at linebacker, but who isn't in week 15?

Cincinnatti better get someone in there to fix the defense and take advantage of what they have on the other side of the ball...they certainly won't be explosive forever.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I will trade you Romeo Crennel for Lewis! Should have made a shad run...thick, thick, thick!

4. H2O Mellon

Jack,

Check out the BOC thread. There was not a shad in sight. We spent 3 hours @ multiple locations. One shad and a bunc of drum.

Back to Lewis.... I do think that he may be in over his head. Maybe he's just a DC guy. Then again, perhaps he wasn't even that great of a DC. He had lots of talent around him in Baltimore.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Melon, They DID go for it on that 4th and 2...and made the 1st down. Granted, it first appeared they were going to punt but a 49er was injurned and the offense came back on to the field. The questionable play calling came on the ensuing series when on 4th and 5 Plamer went for the score from around the 20 and Chad didn't hold on to the ball in the end zone...! Game over once the 49'ers made one first down.
    Either way, what should have been a much inproved defense this year flat out didn't get it done. As you know the LB unit has been hit hard with injuries this season, but hey, theses are Pro's and the play should have been much better than what it was...! ;)

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Didn't see the game last night. No NFL network. Personally, i dont think they have that good of an offense either. The games i was able to see, CJ dropped a heck of a lot of passes. And a lot were on 3rd down. TJ got alligator arms quite a few times coming across the middle, Henry misses 8 games, and Palmer was throwing a lot of high passes to his right and over the middle. Are you saying Rudy was one of the top backs this year? I saw the replay of CJ bobbling the pass in the end zone last night.:confused: . High powered offenses dont get held to 14 points even on a bad day. Dont blame the defense. They get a 3 play rest and have to come right back out. Granted they're not good but the offense has to give them a little help. Trade CJ and get a high draft pick to help shore up the D. The way he's playing this year, he should be a Miami dolphin.:C

7. H2O Mellon

Lol! Boy do I look stupid. When the punt team came on the field, I turned off the game! :eek:

8. Hook N Book

Who can blame you for shutting it off...! This season has been a huge disappointment.
    And I do agree the offense has really did their fair share of stinking up stadiums this year...Plamer and Chad has some splainin to do...:D ! :eek:

9. I'm struggling to figure out how Cinci's offense could possibly be the issue?

Palmer is 2nd in the NFL in yards and 9th in td's...Housh and CJ are both top 5in catches and both top 10 in yards! 90% of the teams in the league would kill for those numbers!

Everyone player in the league is going to have a bad game now and then and an offense can't take the field thinking that they have to put up 7 pts on every drive! You mean to tell me that the Steelers fans wouldn't like to have CJ or TJ opposite Hines Ward? I know that I would sure like to see CJ in a Vikings uni next season!

10. Hook N Book

I've wittnessed too many times this season were Plamer has thrown High or missed wide open recievers. These are throws he has been able to complete with little problems in the past. Besides, with the defense they have...it's imperative that they score a bunch of points to have a realistic chance at a victory. :D

11. H2O Mellon

I'll also add, that when Palmer misses CJ, it's CJ that gets most of the heat, not Palmer. What's up w/ that?

I love Palmer, CJ, TJ, etc.... but too many times people blame the WR and not Palmer. I think it might be that we've been used to seeing CJ make circus catched even when the ball is a bit off.

A few years ago, you'd be kicke dout of my house if you bad mouted Marvin Lewis, Carson Palmer or Chad Johnson, this year is different. I feel like a traitor of sorts, but I guess I'm no longer happy w/ just being competetive. :(

12. Looks like too much of the teams ( bengals ) salary is tied up on the offensive side. With the salary cap in the NFL it is the rare team that knows how to balance the budget so to speak.

Offense sells tickets defense wins championships. Guess where most owners are going to invest. What I do notice about the bengals this year is lots of yardage but very little points. They seem to go in " red zone shock ". Offenses can go into slumps just like in baseball. When your pitching starts giving up too many runs early in the game. The batters often try to hit a 3-run homer with the bases empty. Instead of doing what they can do they try to play above their heads and they press too hard.

13. Hook N Book

Actually, it's quite the opposite...! The "Mighty Bengals" have the Sixth most money (36 Mil+) available under the lastest Salary cap. So I guess we shall see what happens this offseason...! ;)

Now, It's time to fire a grill-up and get some grub...! :D

14. Lewis has less of a chance of being canned than Billick does... Man, the Ravens are not good... I LOVE IT!!!

15. Hook N Book

Agreed, they might be looking for a new coach in the very near future...! ;)

16. I think Carson, Chad, TJ and the gang need a offseason to get there heads screwed back on right..there is some major dysfunction going on with those guys right now, we need to sign a couple defensive starters(hopefully somebody to lead the D on the field) and then draft some young bucks along the front 7 as well, Im struggling with the thought of dropping our last 2 games...but in the long run it might be the best, the only thing a win does at this point is knock us down the draft board..I just cant get myself to hope for a Bengal loss.

17. I think I heard something on the radio the other day saying that Billick was signed and safe for another year. I won't swear to it but that was the way I thought it sounded.

The strange thing is that when you compare Cincy to Cleveland on team stats their average scores very similar. Cleveland is 26.3-25.4 (+0.9). Cincy is 23.1-24.7(-1.6). So a 2.5 point swing is the difference between a 9-5 team and a 5-9 team.;) I think the thing to take from that stat is to recognize how close it is between being a winning team and not. I think that Cincy's focus on improving should be the same as Cleveland's. Both have real issues on the defensive side that need addressed in the upcoming off-season. The biggest difference? It is obvious. Cleveland will be playing 3 weeks from now.:D:D

18. At this point the offseason is almost welcome, its been a very frustrating year, at least in the offseason you can look forward to the draft and FA, whether you get everything you want in the draft and FA is a different story:(