Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past few years, and It seems to be getting more often, while we're cruising above 3k rpm the out drive pops out of gear, and rpms go thru the roof..... We've heard everything from the gears in the outdrive, too light of oil in the outdrive, to a mis-adjusted throttle cable... The hub/prop are ok... Powered by Volvo-penta... Any suggestions?? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Im not sure about I/O's But i am pretty sure the gearcases are basically the same for the i/o's and regular outboards. I would think ur clutchdog, and or your forward gear is worn down the the point to where once there is a certain amount of load on the gears they begin to slip shifting the motor back to neutral.

·
Registered
225 Posts
how old and what model Volvo. Most volvos use a cone clutch in the upper gearcase which is unlike any OB . and has some unique problems associated with them unlike most other ios

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Junebug,,The first thing to check,,, is the lower unit (prop end) oil ,,,drain it into a clean pan that you can inspect the oil in,for metal shavings,,you don't want to see any in your oil! If you do,,, well then pretty much what Peple first said might be true,there will be a wearing problem,,I hope not but metal in the oil will be a good indication,of a problem:(..... good luck! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

1 - 5 of 5 Posts