close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

i need live or lace rock

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by fish4wall, Feb 16, 2005.

1. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

ok now that you all think im nuts...well i am...
    im starting my first saltwater reef tank. it 55 gal and i'll need to put
    about 100lbs of rock in it..
    i found a site that shows how to make your own rock but 2 or 3 more live rock would be nice.....
    any info would be great.
    thanks
    fish4wall

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

0   0   0

heres what i would do.. log on at reefcentral.com and post in the central ohio part of the page.. i'm sure you will get alot of respond there.. these guys are real hardcore reefers.. i have dealt with a couple of them from there a loong time ago.. good luck in your reefin venture..if u have any questions or need any more info just ask.. :)
    heres a direct link to the central ohio reef section of the forum..
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=138

keep in mind that this site gets alot of post per minute..u have to keep up with it :) kinda hard when they have 2000++ people on at the same time.
    happy reefin'..

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

0   0   0

Aquarium adventure is having a big sale on fish and other stuff here in columbus. Sale is almost over. You may be able to get some live rock at a decent price, their fish and food was half off. If you buy rock from a petstore or fish store expect to pay 2.00 a pound for it which is a total rip off. At 100 lbs that is a lot of money. If you went with limestone you could go to any landscape place that sells stone and get it a lot cheaper. I bought a bunch for around 6.00 bucks. My tank is fresh water so it may not make the look you want with salt. I have about 300lbs in my 125 at least. Lace rock looks cool and so does texas holey rock but you will pay for it. Another thing about limestone is it will raise your pH of the water some. I'm not sure what salt water pH should be for what you will get but in my african cichlid tank the limestone helps a little to keep the water the way my fishes natural setting would be. If you need supplies check out www.bigalsonline for some killer deals on pumps, heaters, whatever you need. :D I have pics of my tank with limestone if you want to see how it would look in the gallery section. If you are near columbus also check out byerlys down on 5th ave, very nice selection of fish but high on equipment. Good luck

4. crappielooker

0   0   0

another thing.. i wouldn't use lace rock in my reef personally..its way too light and could be shift outta place pretty easily.. also don't rush putting live animals in your tank..even though its really tempting.. patient is the key when it comes to reef keeping.. also i would pick up some books to read thru.. anything by julian sprung are great reads.. from reef notes to the reef aquarium book 1-3..
    oh.. and search thru reefcentral to get some more info..im still tryin to keep up with that site..lol..
    again..happy reefin'

5. crappielooker

0   0   0

oh..and if u want any livestocks.. i would strongly suggest a day's drive to dick perrin's Tropicorium in romulus in MI.. hes the man when it comes to inverts and rock.. including captive bred fish..
    www.tropicorium.com
    check him out.. he does wholesale during weekdays and retail to public on weekends.. veery well worth the drive if you are into frags and coral..heck, anything reefy he's got it.. :)

6. amazing189

amazing189 Member

0   0   0

Fish4wall -I just set up a 45G for Cichlids. The only local place I could find with a decent price on Texas Holey Rock is in Florence, Ky on Turfway. It's still pricey...I think 3.00/lb. We bought 40lb & stil could use more, but it kills me to pay for rock! Aquarium Adventure on Mongomery has some beautiful show tanks and a good selection, but they're a little priceyier (if that's a word) than some of the locals. We also set up a small reef tank a couple of years ago. I found the guys at Just About Fish really helpful. They just moved down near Beechmont in the Sky Top Pavillion. Good luck with it man.

Marshall - Great lookin' tank! I envy your Johanni. He's awesome (So is the Afra, is it?) We had a beautiful male johanni that died a few months back...neat fish! We just re-did the 45G and ordered fish from Bluegrass Cichlids in Louisville, KY. We got 4 Yel Lab F1's, 4 Hongi's, 4 Permuts and 4 Demasonis. All arrived well and seem to be thriving for the past couple of days. Do you think there are many more "Cichlid Heads" in the GFO? I was pleasantly suprised to see a post about aquariums here!

Maybe we should start a new thread & pull all the fish keepers out of the woods.... :)

Danny

7. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

0   0   0

Acctually there are several of us. I have kept Africans for about 18 years. I just recently moved and sold off 16 tanks and about 200 cichlids. I am down to one big tank and 2 small ones (125, 10, 5).

I currently have 8 Yellow Labs which are F1, 4 Ps. Acei "white tail" F1, 3 Alunocara "Lemon Jake" F1, 4 Synodontis Petricola F1, 1 Synodontis Brichardi F0 (Yes he's wild caught), and more F2 yellow lab fry than I care to count :eek: along with a few Acei fry. If I'd known you were looking for labs I could have hooked you up and saved you big time. I also have a bunch of non African albino bristle nose plecos which I love dearly and a couple of quarter size turtles the kids had to have.

This has been done a few times on here. How bout we do one better and add a forum for aquarium hobbiest?

Fish4wall- Check with local landscape suppliers and nusery places. They sometimes have the holey rock and lace rock at about 1/4 the cost of pet stores and you can dig through it to find what you need. The down side of that is you have to really clean it but it is worth the savings. And Marshall had mentioned the ph issue, well a lot of the cichlid sand is nothing more than crushed coral and aragonite and it is used to buffer "raise and stabalize" the ph in freshwater African cichlid tanks. It comes from the Ocean and is also used as base for saltwater tanks. I would be more worried about the rock leeching contaminates than raising ph.

8. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

thanks a ton for the replys...
    i need to look in the phone book for some local landscape suppliers.
    and as for the ph i've read that saltwater reefs need the ph about 8 for live rock and the stuff that grows on it.
    but $2 a lb for dead rock and $6 a lb for live man im not made out of money....lol
    this well be a poor mans reef....lol
    that would be cool if they would start a forum for aquarium hobbiest.
    i was just thinking we all love to fish and to keep them....lol how crazy is that? :p
    fish4wall

9. Marshall

0   0   0

Hey fish4wall, I got my rock at mr.mulch off 161 over toward sawmill. I told them it was for a fish tank and they only charged me like 6 or 8 bucks. Yea you have to clean it off, I just scrubbed mine with a brush and hot water, I have had no problems with it. You say you need a pH of 8. I will save you a ton. With every water change add 1 teaspoon of Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) Yea thats the arm and hammer stuff to 5 gallons of water and it will put your pH right at 8. It will hold at 8 for a while. I usually do waterchanges every other week and it holds the pH right at 8. When you fill the tank during waterchanges just mix up how many scoops you need in a cup with water and slowly add as you fill. Of course I recommend you test your water first to see what your pH is. I have tried the over the counter stuff and it cost alot and to me is harder to work with. Like i said earlier the limestone also helps buffer the water.

10. fish4wall

fish4wall

0   0   0

cool thanks marshall..this will help a ton...
    im going to take pics of my tank tonight and ever so offen
    take pics. like a before and after thing.
    by the way your f/w tank tooks great :D
    i started to do saltwater back in 92.
    and its not that hard....so this reef is going to be cool....
    ive always wanted to try it....
    but my wife is telling me this is my x-mas,v-day and b-day gift...lol :eek:
    fish4wall

11. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

0   0   0

The sodium bicarb is great for freshwater African Cichlid tanks I am not too sure about in reef tanks though. THe salt mix has buffers in it for the ph and the live rock has a lot of calcium in it to help buffer as well. PH is generally not much of an issue in s/w tanks unless you have a ton of clams and snails that use up the calcium in shell growth.

12. Marshall

0   0   0

good thought i didn't think of that. Thanks