Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have very limited experience river fishing so I need some advice and tips. Even with the weather being this cold I am itching to fish too bad and I want to get out on the river, either little or great Miami, but the little Miami is much closer. I'll be targeting smallmouth and any advice and tips to help catch a few this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

·
the boat is gone lazy
9,912 Posts
Hey everyone, I have very limited experience river fishing so I need some advice and tips. Even with the weather being this cold I am itching to fish too bad and I want to get out on the river, either little or great Miami, but the little Miami is much closer. I'll be targeting smallmouth and any advice and tips to help catch a few this time of year would be greatly appreciated.
Might have to wait a bit:p

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
You might get better response in the Southwest forum where these rivers reside. Also there is an ongoing thread in the Central Ohio forum on winter fishing for smallmouth that is a must read for anyone trying to do this. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Take Sconners advice and post in the SW forum you'll likely get more response.
Just browsing old post in that forum you'll find plenty of info on both rivers.
You can't beat a live chub in this kinda weather. ;) but alotta spots I fish in winter are Iced over in the Lmr
Good luck and Good fishing !

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Never fished those rivers, but have fished the Cuyahoga a lot. Wait until April at least. Best time to learn a river is late summer when the water is low and you can wade and see where the deepest holes are. Then, come back an fish them when the water comes up and cools down a bit.

For smallies I use a rebel craw crankbait in a natural color, in-line spinners, beetle spins, 1/4 oz jig with 3" twister tail, topwater poppers, jerkbaits, and vibrating blade baits. Have caught smallies on all of these. When the bite is tough in mid-summer, minnows and nightcrawlers work well. Drift them through a pool with a bobber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts