I need help with this choice.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by BuckEyeBigBuck13, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ok today is thurs december 6, 2007 .. we just got out fist nice snow and it is supose to snow more tonight ... i need help here should i go out in the morning cuz im going out of town this week end and i will not be anywere that i have land to hunt .... should i go out in the morning with this extra so coming ?..... cuz i have had sittuations were it has snowed and deer have moved alot after it was done... i know thoes deer will not lay there with all that snow on them .... and im sitting over a green clover / hay / some other stuff ... so i am on a food sorce... anyone that is on here could help me with my choice i would apprecite it ... thanks

2. If you have a confirmed food in the winter period, I personally would be more apt to hunt it from mid-day to evening. My experiences tell me that during the winter, deer will go to bed early, but will leave their bed mid-day or so to feed when early morning to mid-morning (4am-10am) conditions are windy/very cold. They will not move as much on extremely cold or uncomfortable mornings in order to conserve body heat/mass, but will move and browse/feed when the daytime conditions improve. They will likely go to feed early afternoon if the winds lay enough mid-day, especially with a warming sun on cold days.

I will only hunt winter mornings when I have a identified bedding area, located near a food source. I have bedding areas ID'd, so in the winter period, I will hunt mid days to dark more often, especially on full moon occurances.

3. I was out Tuesday night after the first snow fall and saw more deer in the picked corn than i have ever seen out there all year. The big 8 point i have hunted all year also appeared at 60 yards. Hit the rattle bag for a few seconds and two more small 8's came in and put on a sparring show. It was a great night. I had to sit for almost an hour after dark to let the deer move out of sight so i could climb down. I will definitely be out there tomorrow night after the snow.