I need help finding a new fishing spot please

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by brownsfan41, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I live in the Canton area. I actually just started fishing in the last 4 or 5 months and I really love it. Unfortunately, my friend that lives at the private pond I loved fishing took a job out of state and I can no longer fish there.

I usually jig fish with artificial lures such as bass assassins, pan fish assassins, spinners and poppers at night. I get too bored using a bobber or worms to bottom fish. I have been researching what public lakes have good to excellent bass, crappie, sunfish and walleye and I see that Berlin and Portage lakes sort of meet my criteria. I went to Portage lakes this evening to go fishing and it was pretty terrible fishing from the shoreline since there was too much vegetation in the 3 spots that I found I could even fish from.

I would like to know if anyone knows of good shoreline fishing spots at portage lakes and also if there are good spots such as piers or docks at Berlin? Is Berlin basically overgrown with vegetation on the shorelines? Does anyone have any other suggested locations that are less than 1.5 hours away from the canton area that have good shoreline fishing for the type of fish I'm after ( I've tried sippo and a couple of the parks in the area and I don't seem to catch much)?

I'd like to thank everyone in advance any advice/suggestions.

2. Can't help you much with Berlin. Don't know of too many open spots at Portage, other than around the park areas, that aren't private. I fish Portage alot from a boat and its great. My suggestion would be Nimisila. You can fish alot of it from shore and the fishing can be good. More so in the spring and early summer. Nimisila is great for wading, as it is shallow. PM me if you want more info. on Nimisila.

3. walbourn has a good population of panfish and plenty of shore fishing opportunities

4. deer creek ,has some huge cats and plenty of places to fish , fish at dusk or night off the fishing pier at the park , or walk the dam and fish ,

5. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

For a long time i too was without float and required shoreline. I always hated fishing the shore at lakes though i felt confined looking at all that open water with no way to fish it. I turned to the river where a person can wade upriver in search of the more formidable bass foe. I have been hooked ever since. The smallmouth of the river are smaller in size but in my opinion more fun to catch. Try cascade valler park that is by you right?

6. do you have a vehicle with a hitch?