i need a union job!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sam kegg, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I have worked my but off for years for these none union companys. and it has got me no where.10 years in the excavating bizz and not going anywhere fast, looking at what the union pays it seems you cant go wrong,.im hard charging hard worker who hasnt missed a day of work in 10 years nor came in late. a vet of this war and a eo3 in the navy reserves. if any one knows of a union construction co hring this spring tell them i will be at there door step , so what do you guys this for union verses non union? give some insite please .
    kegg out!%

2. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

In my construction experience I would say you are working for the wrong company. Union may or may not fit your style, but they are not a cure all. They do NOT offer many of the beneifits that non-union companies have. You also have to consider how much time you may be setting at the hall waiting for a job.

Don't let a big hourly wage blind you. Union is good for some but not so for others. Do your homework first. If you are indeed a good worker, with leadership skills, you should try another company first. Some companies are just to small to advance in.

3. im a union laborer but lay pipe daily i really could care less for the union. make sure the company you go to only pays high money scale and not market recovery.

4. I dont' care who you are, but that's FUNNY right there!!! HHAHHAHHAH!!!!

In my experience, I prefer to contract a non-union company to do my jobs EVERY SINGLE TIME! With Non-union, you don't get the BS like you do with Union. Non-union workers work HARDER - and know their azz is on the line if something goes wrong or the job takes longer than expected.

I know I'm ruffling some feathers here - but from a Management standpoint - this is my honest opinion, and last I checked........I'm allowed to have one.

There is only ONE union company that I've ever had work for me that I'd have do another job.......and they've done just about all my concrete work since. Other than that - forget about it. I only hire union when I HAVE to......

If you're as hard working as you say you are - shoot me a message late winter and I'll lead you to several GOOD excavator companies and even stick my neck on the line for you and give you a good reference. I know alot of contractors in the Massillon, Canton, Akron, Medina areas.......and am close friends with an outfit that's over by Youngstown - they'd hire you in a minute if I referred you there. I'm serious about that.

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

don't become a firefighter...probably couldn't afford the pay cut!

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But having been in a union at one point and seeing the guys down the street from me at OPW out on strike, you can have it. Pay dues to be in our club? So you can blow the money on stuff that doesn't benefit me? Ever see where union bossed take vacations and have second homes? Screw that. I'll work for one boss or myself, not some schmuck that legally steals a percent of my paycheck every time. The government does enough of that all by themselves.

If you are a good excavator, buy some equipment and do it yourself. There's money to be made for people who are willing to take the risk. Or you can be a hired laborer all your life. I deal with plenty of people who fill both niches each day and see both sides.

UFM82

Not union.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

my brother the plumber went union after 20 years with a co. now he's in the union and can't find work at the hall??? the senior guys get all the good ,long running jobs. he only works about 2 or 3 months out of the year. you tooo will be low man on the totem pole in the union hall.

8. Alot of anti union talk here....
    I am a union carpenter and have been so for 10 years now and have to say that i've never sat in a hall waiting for a job. If your a good worker you dont sit all that matters at the end of the day is that you know what your doing and that the company makes money on your job. I get paid $30/hr and my benefit packages costs my company around the same so I have to produce to cover that. In my expierence if your sitting you either dont produce, produce but guys have to go back on punch lists and clean your work up or your working for a company that isnt really interested in maintaining a good work load for the workers (possibly subbing out work). Just like any other job union contractors have a way of weeding the bad eggs out...Those are the ones that sit a the hall until work pick up to the point where a company is making so much money on a project that they can afford to pick up a couple of guys that arent that efficent.

That said i'm not one of the die hards that believe union work is the only way to go so try getting on with the right company one indicator is employees that have been there for a long time because if the company is treating them right theres no reason to go anywhere...GOOD LUCK!

9. Also.....
    Alot of the guys that dont get a high work volume are not well rounded carpenters I have a ton of expierence in all phases so my company dont have to worry about sending me to a job. I see alot of older guys that are content doing drywall their entire career but have no clue how to do some fairly basic finish work. Where are you from my brother in law has a excavating company (non union).

10. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

The only thing a union can promise is a LAY OFF. Nuff said .

11. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

That is the local in your part of the state. My Father retired 2 yrs ago from the same excavating company that he was with since the 1960's. His benefits were/are good and he worked steady all those years. If you work hard and are a good operator you'll always be busy unless it gets too cold to dig/move dirt in the winter.

I know Kenmore Construction and Highway Asphalt in Akron hire Operating Engineers as do many of the sand and gravel operations in your area. Any of the highway construction projects you see going on are union, put on a hardhat and go talk to a superintendant on the job and ask his advice on how to land a job. Beaver Excavating, Ruhlin, Kokosing and Shelly & Sands are others that you might consider. They are all solid companies and demand performance from their employees, when they find a good operator they keep them busy.....many times for 30+ years.

One big difference I've noticed over the years between union and non union is SAFETY! With the unions, safety is first and you will have safety meetings usually every week. Good Luck in your search.

12. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

GREAT point Mush

SAFETY ,How each company looks at this is very important. I'm non union and our company(manufacturing) takes Safety very serious Monthy meetings input from employee's Etc. I've been on a few construction sites Most of which were pretty scary.

13. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Just remember, most, not all union companies would pay you a poverty wage if they could get away with it. The UAW membership is 25% of what it was 20 years ago. If the unions are a bad thing and we cost the company too much money, why, with the decline in membership, has the cost of a car not been reduced in proportion? Corporate greed has a little to do with that.

Union or non-union. Better wages or more opportunity? I think you all need to decide that for yourselves. Being union, I support the benefit of negotiating. sam kegg, If you have the skills you say you do, a non-union company will allow you to expand your resources more to your benefit than a union shop would. I wish you the best of luck! We all do what we gotta do!

14. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

The cost of a car has not been reduced due to the benefits and pensions that are being paid out to the UAW retirees.

Detroit automakers cover the health care expenses of both current and former union members — more than 1.1 million of them combined —and their dependents. That adds up to an annual bill of about $12 billion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/b...imes Topics/Subjects/R/Retirement&oref=slogin

15. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

If they agreed to do it in the contract, it is the companies obligation to do it effeciently. GM, Ford, and the like, more than triple that cost in the salaries of their high ranking officials. Alan Mullaly got paid more for showing up his first day than an entire plants' workers will make in a year.

16. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Hence the problem, they agreed to it in the contracts for 30+ years and look where it has gotten the UAW and The Big 3, damn near bankruptcy. This is exactly what the companies are trying to do under this new contract, cut costs, and the biggest cost whether you want to believe it or not is healthcare / pensions for the retirees. One question for ya, why are the foreign automotive manufacturers able to turn a profit when The Big Three gets deeper in debt ? Don't get me wrong the executives get paid inflated salaries but you are saying that the annual salaries of the Big 3 brass is 12 billion dollars X 3, come on.

17. unions in the auto biz is what is killing the big 3, just ask my mom who got pushed out and had to take her buyout just to survive, yeah the union did fight for them to get great pay and benefits, but when it came down to them helping the employees they took there money and hightailed it on out, the union stopped supporting the workers of delphi where my mom worked and the proof was in all the police reports from the plant about upset workers, but steel, construction, and excavation and such i think dont have such a problem like the auto makers unions do, one thing we have to remember about unions is the workers elect there union officials so if u get a bum deal just remember the workers are the ones that elected that person to speak on there behalf.

18. I couln't have said it better myself!

I work a "side" job at an oil refinery. We are non-union and the guy chose to have it that way. The refinery I work for was union before when they were with Quaker State.. and when our new owner bought the plant from QS, the guy realized that the only thing the union was doing as protecting the lazy man. They took a cut in pay on the hour.. but the benifits are a lot better, and the raises have been above average. so 10 years later they are making more money, have never been subjected to a lay off and production is about 200% higher.

Safety in union vs. non-union job..... I work in the safety department and I can tell you that we have an EXCELLENT safety record. Safety all comes down to two things. Management supporting safety and the workers wanting to go home the same way they came in. If you have that, you have a safe job. Safety is everyones responsibility. Watch out for one another.

19. Unions are outdated. And like others have said, they are there to protect the lazy man usually. Would you want to work for a company who needed the union there for them to treat you right? The unions have done some good in the past but now they are whats killing american factories. Workers dont need 20 plus dollars per hour to sit and smoke while watching a machine all day , thats why we pay so much for our automobiles. Dont get me wrong, that would be an awesome job to have for that pay , but I think its ripping the company off.

20. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

Ok I am going to write way too much into this but eh I am bored so here goes.

First lets look at the job market situation:

A lot of factory and manufacturing jobs have gotten to the point that they are so automated that a monkey can run them 90% of the time. So what we are stuck with is the baby boomer generation who for the most part chooses not to retire(different story/argument to get into later) so we have an abundance of workers who are mostly qualified for outdated labor techniques. Much like horse breeders/Horseshoe makers when the automobile became popular. Sure there are some left but not many and not in the mainstream. Those that kept hanging on or who thought the car was just a fad slowly became obsolete and either learned a new trade or didn't find work. So now we see we have a lot of workers in the later half of their work lives who are well qualified for old techniques but fail to adapt to changing work environments. Unless you have developed an un-replicated craft to position yourself safely in the market(equipment operator, welder, carpenter) you will likely be cut or outsourced. But even with those crafts as equipment is improved and techniques are improved less workers are needed to accomplish the same task and at some point maybe replaced all together. Is this the end of the line for Mr. manual labor? only if he chooses it to be. This is a point where a person must choose to continue their old craft for the new market value or adapt and learn a new skill set so that they are an assets in the changing industry. Moral of the story don't be the horse breeder be the car salesman.....

Now what does this have to do with unions:

The problem now is unions are acting more to keep everyone horse breeders and to slow the spread of cars so to speak. They only look at the jobs in the immediate and less at the industry as a whole, ever evolving being. If a machine is developed to complete replace a job yes that job is lost. Why would me a business owner continue to pay someone $20+ an hour and benefits to do something I can get a machine to do for less. Is that the end of the road for the person who lost their job? again only if they fail to seize the opportunities that change presents. Off the top of my head I would say just from the example they could become an equipment repairman for the company the makes the machines like the one that replaced him. When industries become automated manual jobs decrease but management and development jobs are created at the same time. This is not a bad thing, Unless you are one that is stuck in the transition and are unable to or fail to develop and adapt yourself to become an asset in the new industry marketplace.

On to CEO pay raises and high administrative salaries

Often people complain about high pay for administrative officials but little do people look at the landscape. These are the people who take the risk and have everything to lose so they should gain the most when it works. In the building industry for example, most of the time these are the people who quit their jobs put their own lives and money on the line to start a company, they get to reap the rewards. As for managers their job is on a much thinner more stressful line then most regular employees. The life span of management personnel is much shorter and much less stable than that of the average employee. Also these jobs require much more learning and developing and experience than the lower jobs there for a higher pay is the only reasonable compensation. Many time labor employee's complain about how management handles things but rarely do those individuals look at it the same way. People not in management have 1 task, their job, and when looking for solutions they do not look past just what makes their job easier. Management has to make the choices that makes the business as a whole better, this makes the issues a lot less black and white and bring out a whole lot of grey area. They have to make these choices and they are the hard/risky ones and that is why they make the big bucks so to speak. Moral of this story: if you don't like it start your own business, your tune will change fast.

Sorry if this takes it a bit off topic