Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Delaware and then Alum last Friday and Monday. I marked a ton of fish in the 5-9 foot range. I do not know how to catch them on a regular basis. I have caught several close to the bottom fishing directly under the boat but I can not seem to keep a tight enoughline with a small jig? What am I doing wrong? Please help as I would love to have some fish for the dinner table.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
are they crappies? if so, try moving to live bait. With crappies there is nothing better than mother nature herself. get yourself some slip bobber rigs and some fat bass minnies and you will have plenty of fish for the dinner table.

·
Multispecies Journeyman
205 Posts
If you're marking a ton of fish and they're not hitting that jig....I really doubt that it's crappie. Try letting a 1/32 oz. or 1/64 jig fall very slowly on 2-4lb. line til you think you're about 2 feet below that school and then just start your retrieve ever so slowly. Let it fall. Repeat. or you can use a continual retrieve. IF IT IS crappie, no doubt you will catch them. Gotta experiment a little. Never seen a cloud of crappie that wouldn't bite!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you're marking a ton of fish and they're not hitting that jig....I really doubt that it's crappie. Try letting a 1/32 oz. or 1/64 jig fall very slowly on 2-4lb. line til you think you're about 2 feet below that school and then just start your retrieve ever so slowly. Let it fall. Repeat. or you can use a continual retrieve. IF IT IS crappie, no doubt you will catch them. Gotta experiment a little. Never seen a cloud of crappie that wouldn't bite!!!

Unless you have an aquaview or a dive mask on board, how would you know if it was a school of crappie that wouldn't bite?:D

I'm not undermining your experience or knowledge...just needed a bit of humor after a LOOOOOOOOng day @ work.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know if they are crappie or not. All I know is that I have been over a couple of good schools and caught a couple but never really had 20-30 in a day success. I will try the lighter jigs I think that the smallest I have is 1/16. I almost always have live bait on the jig. Thanks and I will try the suggestions

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
here's another method you might want to try.when you mark these fish again try casting a jig beyond where you marked them.then after the jig hits the water try counting to 4 then go with a slow retrieve.give that several tries then go with a bigger count until you get to the depth that they will hit at.
we have done real well at paint creek using this method when the crappie are stacked up on steep drop offs.we find the fish then use this method parallel to the bank.
a jig tipped with a minnow under a bobber canget them too.
p.s.,fishing for crappie is kinda like blugill.when you find them schooled up try to fish the outer edge of the school.you're less likely to spook them that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts