Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
ok, dang it...now the barstards are going too far!!! the gov'ment is now telling us we HAVE to wear life jackets if out boating???? granted , it's a just a "study", but we all know how that goes.

"The mission of the Boating Safety Program is to ensure that the public has a safe, secure and enjoyable recreational boating experience by implementing programs designed to minimize the loss of life, personal injury and property damage. "

Can't we, the public, the citizens of this country be responsible for our own lives anymore? do we really need the government to MANDATE use of life jackets when we are out on our own boats? How can I enjoy the lake when it's 95 degrees and i'm strapped in a life jacket. Stupid idiots!!!!!!!

sorry for the rant but I am SICK and TIRED of being "taken care of".

http://thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?a=4&b=14&x=12384

http://capwiz.com/boatus/issues/alert/?alertid=40386501&PROCESS=Take+Action

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just another small group that thinks it has the power to get a mandate passed to protect us stupid citizens. While the government will use it to drive more revenue in fines to line their own pockets. I'm sure glad that everyone knows what is best for me. Welcome to our new society of being led blindly into submission.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Amen to that! So sick and tired of the "nanny state" I could puke. Once you hear these words, RUN
"I am from the government and I am here to help".......................
Biggest thing they could do to help would be to fire themselves and start over with a drastic reduction in personnel and positions. Sad part of it is most of America seem to like being herded and would not know what to do with freedom if it bit them in the rear. Even if I could take the "assistance" (read as entitlements and something for nothing) I do not believe I would. Too much pride and sense of self worth. If it was a life and death matter for my family that is one thing but for the thousands of no good layabouts that expect to have every little detail of their lives taken care of, well this is a family forum and I will have to stop. Probably better stop now as there are waaaay too many things I could say that are a violation of this boards rules and regs.

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
Wanna bet the "study" was funded by the insurance industry? Who also lobbys to enact such laws. Saves them millions. But they are, after all, looking out for you and me!;)--Tim........................................................................................................................................................................ Facial expression Common chimpanzee Snout Primate Mouth

Attachments

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
I wear my life jacket everywhere so this new law will have no effect on me. Its a brownish/grey stearns with pockets. Chics dig it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Best buy some stock in auto inflation vest manufacturing companies. They will be selling more if it is mandatory to wear pfd on the boat.

sent on the coconut network from my htc EVO3D

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
I've never tipped my yak (as of this post) and don't plan on it BUT I still wear my PFD everytime I'm in my yak on the water. Just like I always wear my seatbelt while driving,I do both because it gives me a sense of personal safety. With that said I think it should be up to each and every individual over the age of 18 whether or not they want ot wear one while out on the water. I think the sealtbelt thing should be the same way as well.

This is just another way to get people to follow the leader. I wonder how many trees it's taken to put all our laws on the books? Sooner or later they're gonna ban pickin' your nose with your finger because you might on accident poke your brain;). Everyday it seems like there's more personal choices taken away from us because a few think they know what's best for everyone. I'd like to hope that the future for my son isn't one ruled by the fact that the goverment wants to control all aspects of our lives. That however seems like a losing proposition at this point. When in the hell did Americans lose their souls and become brainless pawns? The idea of people willingly giving up freedoms is completely asinine to me. What for? To get a check from Uncle Sam and paid for by all of us that chooses to be productive members of our soceity. To feel safe from the terrorists and hate mongers when all the laws in the world won't stop them from doing the insane things that they do. Sorry for the rant but this kinda crap chaps my behind to no end.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
im lost i dont see ohio in there calafornia,if its starting here in ohio can you tell me when and were its going to happen

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
im lost i dont see ohio in there calafornia,if its starting here in ohio can you tell me when and were its going to happen
It hasn't come to Ohio....yet. They are doing "pilot" programs or "studies" in other states like Pennsylvania though. stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've never tipped my yak (as of this post) and don't plan on it BUT I still wear my PFD everytime I'm in my yak on the water. Just like I always wear my seatbelt while driving,I do both because it gives me a sense of personal safety. With that said I think it should be up to each and every individual over the age of 18 whether or not they want ot wear one while out on the water. I think the sealtbelt thing should be the same way as well.

This is just another way to get people to follow the leader. I wonder how many trees it's taken to put all our laws on the books? Sooner or later they're gonna ban pickin' your nose with your finger because you might on accident poke your brain;). Everyday it seems like there's more personal choices taken away from us because a few think they know what's best for everyone. I'd like to hope that the future for my son isn't one ruled by the fact that the goverment wants to control all aspects of our lives. That however seems like a losing proposition at this point. When in the hell did Americans lose their souls and become brainless pawns? The idea of people willingly giving up freedoms is completely asinine to me. What for? To get a check from Uncle Sam and paid for by all of us that chooses to be productive members of our soceity. To feel safe from the terrorists and hate mongers when all the laws in the world won't stop them from doing the insane things that they do. Sorry for the rant but this kinda crap chaps my behind to no end.
Very well said. What is gonna happen when those who are productive members of society dwindle to the minority and there is nobody to pay for the lazy bums free lunch? Oh wait, it is starting now.............

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
Looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today. :mad:
Step away from your computer and take your meds. Everything will be OK guys.:D

I can see this one closing soon with the political comments that are already starting.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Very well said. What is gonna happen when those who are productive members of society dwindle to the minority and there is nobody to pay for the lazy bums free lunch? Oh wait, it is starting now.............
Before this gets closed, What does this comment have to do with the choice to wear a pfd?:confused: Come on man. :(

·
don m
1,014 Posts
We wear ours always when on the water. During the hot weather we have the fannie packs that we got for free from the ODNR "WEAR-IT" program. When the weather turns cold we wear the sos-penders auto inflation style in case of cold water emersion. As seen on the dealiest catch when the water hits 45 degrees you only have a few min of useable muscles after your body responds from the shock of hitting the cold water.
I just like the idea of living a while longer before I meet my maker.
JMTCW
donm

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Just like the seatbelt law. I don't like it, so I won't do it.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
Farmers have farmer's tans. Boaters will have boater's tans...which could also be confused with Walmart greeter's tans, or Jim Tressel Vest tans. :D

At least if you're wearing a vest you'll have some place to conceal your other personal safety device.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Can't we, the public, the citizens of this country be responsible for our own lives anymore? do we really need the government to MANDATE use of life jackets when we are out on our own boats?
Question 1 - Typically, no. You need only look at the group of people stuck on the ice floe a couple years back on the big lake. I'm not implying that PFD's would've helped those people get off the ice, but merely responding to the generalized question you posed. Common sense seems to go out the window frequently.

Question 2 - Typically, yes. On most lakes you're either mandated to use a specific size motor or a specific speed. In no wake zones, you're mandated to leave no wake. Why? Because if it wasn't mandated, it wouldn't be practiced.

No offense, but if you choose not to wear a PFD and this becomes law, then you're running the same risk you do if you choose not to wear your seat belt. If you get caught, you pay a fine. To me, that's fair. Rules like this are only in place to protect the people using the resource. Every summer we read about someone drowning on the lake. If PFDs are proven to help prevent those situations, as well as the search, rescue, and recovery costs, it only makes sense.

I have no intention to debate politics here (or elsewhere) with people on the internet. We all know if it turns that direction, it will get the lock. I guess I just don't understand how it would hinder you to have this enacted?

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
I think what this boils down to is that people don't want something crammed down their throats. They want the CHOICE to decide for themselves on whether or not to wear their PFDs.

Where does it stop? If they're gonna make PFDs a requirement then what's next? Why not make wearing a helmet when on a motorcycle a law. I mean after all those that ride 'em could fall off and squash their brains. What about bicycle helmets being a law because some fall off and hurt their heads as well. Might as well add in elbow and knee pads to help prevent those injuries. Hell put those requirements on skateboarders,inline skaters,and the likes as well. Then there'll be a law saying that climbing trees is illegal because someone could fall out and seriously hurt themselves. Heck they should just outlaw hooks while their at it because sometimes someone takes one to their hand,head,neck,etc,etc and has to go to the hospital to get it removed.I know I'm being goofy but there's a whole slew of things people do for fun that they could get hurt while doing so. Does there have to be a law and possible fines for everything in this world?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I think what this boils down to is that people don't want something crammed down their throats. They want the CHOICE to decide for themselves on whether or not to wear their PFDs.

Where does it stop? If they're gonna make PFDs a requirement then what's next? Why not make wearing a helmet when on a motorcycle a law. I mean after all those that ride 'em could fall off and squash their brains. What about bicycle helmets being a law because some fall off and hurt their heads as well. Might as well add in elbow and knee pads to help prevent those injuries. Hell put those requirements on skateboarders,inline skaters,and the likes as well. Then there'll be a law saying that climbing trees is illegal because someone could fall out and seriously hurt themselves. Heck they should just outlaw hooks while their at it because sometimes someone takes one to their hand,head,neck,etc,etc and has to go to the hospital to get it removed.I know I'm being goofy but there's a whole slew of things people do for fun that they could get hurt while doing so. Does there have to be a law and possible fines for everything in this world?
All but three states have some degree of helmet laws for motorcycles. Again, I guess I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with this. http://www.iihs.org/laws/helmetusecurrent.aspx

I understand that you feel you should get to choose whether or not to wear one. I've often felt the same way about seat belts as I don't always wear one. However, I can't complain about the required use of one. I guess I'm not full of enough piss and vinegar at 31 to think that every law is an excuse to get in my pocket. After all, if I follow those laws, I don't get tickets/fines/etc.

Also, your examples just ramble past common sense somewhere around the word tree.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
Question 2 - Typically, yes. On most lakes you're either mandated to use a specific size motor or a specific speed. In no wake zones, you're mandated to leave no wake. Why? Because if it wasn't mandated, it wouldn't be practiced.

No offense, but if you choose not to wear a PFD and this becomes law, then you're running the same risk you do if you choose not to wear your seat belt. If you get caught, you pay a fine. To me, that's fair. Rules like this are only in place to protect the people using the resource. Every summer we read about someone drowning on the lake. If PFDs are proven to help prevent those situations, as well as the search, rescue, and recovery costs, it only makes sense.
I understand what you're saying, I think the problem people have is that these laws are protecting people from themselves.

Your example about the specific motor size or no wake zone is not a fair comparison - if these laws are broken it impacts more than just the person breaking the law. People throwing a wake in a no wake zone could make it dangerous for other people in the no wake zone. Using a larger motor than permitted could cause more erosion, etc etc...

Yes, people drown because they weren't wearing life jackets and people die in car accidents when they may have lived if they had been wearing a seat belt. Those people made a conscious decision to not use everything they could to be safe. That sucks, but that is their choice and it only affects them. If they have a family and kids they left behind I still think this is something that should fall solely on their shoulders and not something that should be legislated.

For what its worth, I always wear my seat belt and I always wear a life jacket.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.