close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I know I'm early but...

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by shorebound, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I started tying up some steelhead patterns and i searched Youtube for some tips on egg patterns. i noticed just about everyone used either glo-bug yarn or those little rubbery looking eggs. i guess my question is, is that my only options for eggs i tried spinning deer body hair but i'm not sure it is going to have the same effect. my other question for all of you is would i be crazy to go up there with my 5wt? i used to use my ultra-light any advice would be great.

2. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

mcfly foam is the best for eggs. glo yarn works too. there are also some soft rubber eggs you can order online but i never tried um. i never had much luck with eggs everytime I go. I got all mine so far on clouser minnows. red/white and olive/white shiner pattern also one with a all white with crystal flash pattern also I made up. will try eggs this year. also try sucker spawn patterns. I hear they work great. there are crystal meths too its a shiny sucker spawn pattern

3. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

We took a old guy from work out 2 years ago and he brought a 5wt 8 footer! He hooked 3 and landed 2. All 8+ pound hens! So, no you wouldnt be crazy.

4. well thanks i wasn't sure how that was going to work i haven't caught anything big enough on my 5 wt yet to see what it's like so i already know i will probably lose a fish or 5 and probably some leaders but i am bound and determined to get one on my fly rod this year
    The other thing is do you guy's order your hourglass eyes or has some one found them at a craft store or wally world
    i have tried a few things in place of those but they did not work as well as i plained

5. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

It's never to early! No such thing! But by the way last week caught a 24 inch bow on my 0wt and 6x tippet so a 5wt. rod will do just fine.:)

6. I fish Rocky River in Cleveland and have hooked and succesfully landed many steelhead, some up to 9 pounds. If I'm drifting eggs or nymphs, or anything that doesn't require a delicate touch, I'll use simple fluorocarbon line as my leader. I fished most of spring with 4lb Berkley vanish and only lost 1 or two fish out of every 10. I was also using a 8.5 5 weight two piece rod from gander mountain and never knew it wasn't " suitable ". Since then I've upgraded to an 8 weight, but have yet to hook a steelhead since spring, so I can say that if you have some patience and skill you can land and enjoy some of they biggest steelhead. I think most people break their flyrods while jerking it to free snags.