Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
That would be the law-of-tonnage... ;)

Or were you perhaps thinking of the "law-of-charter-boat" as in the charter boat ALWAYS has the right-of-way... :rolleyes:

One that many folks are not aware of is the "law-of-restricted-in-maneuverability" (this one is actually legitimate folks). A vessel restricted in maneuverability, is to be granted the right-of-way. How can you tell? Visual clues - like 400' spread with planer boards, talk with them on radio. A drifting boat not under power is more restricted than a boat trolling... Of course if you are drifting with your bow trolling motor down making adjustments, are you really drifting... hmm

After about 25-degrees of course correction to get away from the other boat, I will invoke one of the above rules... Of course that is just to keep you out of my gear. Vessel-to-vessel collision at trolling speeds is extremely rare and would be very embarrassing at 2.4mph... To avoid a vessel-to-vessel collision, I would, like all others, take any evasive action necessary and then deal with the tangled mess later.

Not an excuse but as an informational FYI - with big boards out - early season with braid & trutrips we can do about 25-degree emergency turn - summer with steel line out we are down to about 15-degree emergency turn. Note - a boat out recreational fishing (including charters) is not considered "FISHING" with respect to your priority in right-of-way rules. That designation is only for commercial licensed fishing vessels while fishing. Thus charters are not FISHING...

Simple solution is to control your boat - get an autopilot (or at least bungie-cord your steering wheel to the seat so that you hold somewhat of a predictable path), have someone responsible for watching for other boats, talk on your radio and coordinate moves... Above all - play nice folks as most of us are out there just trying to have some fun...
If I'm not mistaken and in no way am I trying to start an argument but fishing lines while trolling do not give you the rights of a RAM. You have to have trawling nets or fishing gear such as commericial fishing as I understood it. None the less common sense will tell you someone with a 400 ft spread isnt getting out of your way very easily

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Unfortunately the law of restricted maneuverability doesn't apply to boats pulling boards as the boat " itself" is still able to maneuver to avoid a situation that law is for meant for vessels that are dragging fishing nets, bouy tenders.tugs and the such that can not maneuver normally due to the enormous drag that is being put on the vessel ...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Example make a hard turn to port with your boards out ...your boat itself will make that turn ..it might tangle your lines which is inconvenient but it doesn't restrict the vessels maneuverabilty
Now take two trolling bags and throw them 50 feet off your Stern and try to make the same turn..your vessel cannot do it because of the excessive drag put on it by the trolling bags off the stern ...it will start to turn then get pulled back almost to the course you were on to begin with because of the drag
Big difference between restricted maneuverabilty and inconvenience

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,440 Posts
Example make a hard turn to port with your boards out ...your boat itself will make that turn ..it might tangle your lines which is inconvenient but it doesn't restrict the vessels maneuverabilty
Now take two trolling bags and throw them 50 feet off your Stern and try to make the same turn..your vessel cannot do it because of the excessive drag put on it by the trolling bags off the stern ...it will start to turn then get pulled back almost to the course you were on to begin with because of the drag
Big difference between restricted maneuverabilty and inconvenience
we are always running a trolling bag... as far as you know. ;)

you are partially right and i am partially wrong or vis-a-versa... thus it can always be disputed. our board line will be into the boat and restricting our turn within about a 35-degree turn. of course we could cut all fishing lines and board lines and drift bag free and then turn... the point is that no one will win in the stupidity of trolling-speed accident arguments... understanding your own and others limitations may help all avoid a tangled mess.

now if i am trolling and you are on plane - well i think you are in a world of legal hurt regardless of which direction you hit my vessel.

there is no regulation protecting our trolling gear - just some rules for vessle-to-vessel contact.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,440 Posts
If I'm not mistaken and in no way am I trying to start an argument but fishing lines while trolling do not give you the rights of a RAM. You have to have trawling nets or fishing gear such as commericial fishing as I understood it. None the less common sense will tell you someone with a 400 ft spread isnt getting out of your way very easily

hmm, thought i covered that too?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I agree privateer 99 percent of the time common sense trolling will keep you clear also just being understanding. Before I got my autopilot I could only imagine what I looked like fishing with my 5 year old trying to help him reel, steer, then net and get back to the wheel.. autopilot is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That would be the law-of-tonnage... ;)

Or were you perhaps thinking of the "law-of-charter-boat" as in the charter boat ALWAYS has the right-of-way... :rolleyes:

One that many folks are not aware of is the "law-of-restricted-in-maneuverability" (this one is actually legitimate folks). A vessel restricted in maneuverability, is to be granted the right-of-way. How can you tell? Visual clues - like 400' spread with planer boards, talk with them on radio. A drifting boat not under power is more restricted than a boat trolling... Of course if you are drifting with your bow trolling motor down making adjustments, are you really drifting... hmm

After about 25-degrees of course correction to get away from the other boat, I will invoke one of the above rules... Of course that is just to keep you out of my gear. Vessel-to-vessel collision at trolling speeds is extremely rare and would be very embarrassing at 2.4mph... To avoid a vessel-to-vessel collision, I would, like all others, take any evasive action necessary and then deal with the tangled mess later.

Not an excuse but as an informational FYI - with big boards out - early season with braid & trutrips we can do about 25-degree emergency turn - summer with steel line out we are down to about 15-degree emergency turn. Note - a boat out recreational fishing (including charters) is not considered "FISHING" with respect to your priority in right-of-way rules. That designation is only for commercial licensed fishing vessels while fishing. Thus charters are not FISHING...

Simple solution is to control your boat - get an autopilot (or at least bungie-cord your steering wheel to the seat so that you hold somewhat of a predictable path), have someone responsible for watching for other boats, talk on your radio and coordinate moves... Above all - play nice folks as most of us are out there just trying to have some fun...
I agree that big boats with lots of lines/big spread makes it more difficult for them to turn/avoid others but unless I missed that part, they still aren’t considered “restricted in their ability to maneuver “. That being said, I’ll do almost anything to avoid fishing in (or even close to) a pack. If I do
find myself in a crowd I try to give the bigger boats room if needed and, like was stated, a little communication goes far. It still seems like you always encounter “that guy”🙄

·
Registered
199 Posts
You have no rights, its just common courtesy . Unfortunately there are some a holes that only think of themselves.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,440 Posts
It's impossible...you're drifitng the same direction...:).
nope. a boat with higher sides will drift with the wind more quickly than one without. water current AND wind cause drift...

couple weeks ago i was fishing a tailwater river on my driftboat and with one generator providing flow, the wind upstream on one section of river was sufficient to stall our drift (float) downstream.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
nope. a boat with higher sides will drift with the wind more quickly than one without. water current AND wind cause drift...

couple weeks ago i was fishing a tailwater river on my driftboat and with one generator providing flow, the wind upstream on one section of river was sufficient to stall our drift (float) downstream.
Guess you didn't see the smiley face...I know there are specifications, just generally speaking...lol.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,440 Posts
Guess you didn't see the smiley face...I know there are specifications, just generally speaking...lol.
saw it but apparently didn't interpret properly. my bad... :) back at you...

i typically don't purposely drift on Erie. if you see me drifting in my Baha, please come toss me a line and check that I am ok...

·
Registered
545 Posts
...if a little communication goes such a long way, then why do so few boaters answer a radio call when someone is trying to contact them?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts