Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the guy out from Vermilion Sat. that was screaming at me that he had the right of way….
I was trolling N.E. in a straight line. A gentleman and his wife were trolling slightly faster than me and as he pulled slightly ahead he turned to his port putting us on a collision course. We had just decided to move and we’re clearing lines.
I try not to get riled up out there but this got under my skin and I initiated a shouting match. Him and his wife were screaming they had the right of way.
Not sure whether he was correct as he turned directly into my path, but I know it doesn’t matter.
So, Mr. Right Of Way, sorry for the shouting match.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That’s interesting, I’d have to look that one up. There’s rules out there but I tell everyone that steers my boat “there’s rules but the number one rule is don’t wreck no matter who’s right”. It really doesn’t pay to get overly irritated because you just carry that with you. Stay safe and try to stay calm.

·
481 Posts
Lots of newbies on the lake now, I've noticed in the last 2 years people just don't pay attention much anymore. I've been put in some binds where i had no where to turn and all that needed to be done is one boat to give me a inch, that really frustrates me, cause i have my head on a swivel everytime i'm out there and try to stay away from others as much as I can.

I still remember this one time just before the fall brawl got really big, we were fishing outta huron with a heavy fog, we got close to some boats but everyone had there head on straight and made the right calls. Right around 9:30- 10ish the fog lifted and I could count at least 60 boats all fishing the same area. I even think it was brought up on the forum and everyone was amazed that there was not even a tangled line, was sorta stressfull but it all work out. Think everyone had there fill cause as soon as the fog lifted everyone spread out......sorta miss those days

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Revision 01/2018 25
Overtaking (OAC 1501:47-2-13)
Any vessel overtaking another shall keep out of the way of the vessel being
overtaken.

I doubt if 50% of boaters know the rules of navigation. Just this summer I was going to overtake a boat and I decided to do it starboard, so I swung out a good distance and as I came up on him I tooted twice and he turns around and flips me off and yells something, I'm sure it was, "have a nice day". I just stood on the power and never looked back. He didn't even realize I was giving him a fair warning of my intentions to pass starboard. Like others said, boat defensively and assume everyone is navigationally ignorant.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
These are the same D.....Bags that will leave a stranded boater , well, stranded. A lot of that goes on out there with the Me Me Me generation. I remember several fishing trips with my Dad cut way short because he towed some poor guy all the way back to the dock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The boat being overtaken has the right of way. He was wrong. Just imagine what the freighters, tugs and barges and passenger boats put up with. The kayakers in the cuyahoga river played chicken with the freighters last year. Talk about stupid, its as bad a drivers playing chicken with semi's, you will loose if contact is made. plus a freighters bow thruster can blow you up on shore with their 750-1000 hp, 60" props.
Back in the 90's I was hit by boat coming up from behind me at high speed, bounced off my side, ODNR did not site them. Their excuse was they were watching the sunset behind them and did not see me. My better half invented new cuss words screaming at them, thankfully we had no guns aboard as she would have shot them.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,553 Posts
We were out Saturday on a NE troll in auto pilot when we saw a boat off our forward port that was also trolling and on clear potential collision course with us. They were a ways off but as were closing the distance they were not making any adjustments which seemed odd because we had the very simple, very obvious right of way. The right maneuver for them would have been to simply turn to their starboard, pass us on our port side, and steer out of the collision but that did not happen so my Wife made a couple quick adjustments to our port and we passed about 75’ from them, starboard to starboard, and they never made a steerage adjustment. Well, that’s when we saw that this boat had one occupant, an older fellow (to qualify that I’m 60), and he was trying to net a fish of his starboard stern that was being drug from a pole that was in a holder in his forward starboard deck. He was leaning well over his gunnel and looking down focusing on this fish and paying no real attention to any potential boat traffic. (Probably because we were 15 miles out). Us trolling at 2.5 and him trolling at 2.5 caused for our distance to close much quicker than he probably had anticipated when he hooked that fish and figured he had nothing but time. Point is, everyone is not always an *******, and everyone is not necessarily ignorant of the rules of the road, sometimes folks are consumed with their passion just like we are so we ALWAYS need to pay attention to what is going on.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah… just wanted to rant. My wife would say “What would Jesus do?
She’s right of course. Most days it wouldn’t have been a big deal, and it does happen frequently out there, but for some reason, it just got under my skin…
Honestly, I do regret showing my a$$.
I swear, last time ever.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The problem is society has changed to the it’s all about me and everyone gets a trophy.
You can thank the new way of life comrade for that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don’t understand people’s thinking sometimes on the water, most boating rules come down to common courtesy and sense, when you are running multiple lines with riggers, dipsy and boards it’s not all that easy to make quick adjustments, I’m sure not everyone is aware of this but it sure is frustrating at times. My $.02

·
SOLID MEAT
5,775 Posts
Mannnnn, this post makes my day. I thought I was the only one dealing with this stuff. I wish more pontoons would show up out there in the mix and really get in the way! MY only grievance is at the ramps, especially Huron when boats launch then tie off at every available spot and Old uncle Bobby spends 30 minutes trying to park the rig. AND then they have the Nerve to give me dirty looks when I back the Sparkle rocket down on them and split the gap while my partner waits in the channel. I just wish people would float and pick partners up at the dock so people could load and unload quicker.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It seams like the boat that cut you off wanted to take a course that would have taken then through your boat/lines.Instead of slowing down and passing behind you,they sped up and cut you off.Then had the nerve to yell at you like it was your fault.I see the same thing around the islands in the spring when there are more boats fishing closer together.If i see a boat trolling parallel with us i tell the driver to make sure that boat doesn't overtake us,cuss ive seen too many times,that boat cut in front of us when it passes us.So we will speed up enough and hold our course.Now,if a boat is in the way of our intended course,we will usually slow down.Overall,we have not had a person yell at us, or have to take evasive action in the last few years.We do not have auto pilot,but i have to remind our driver that many of the other boats do have auto pilot and are not necessarily watching in front of them.I also tell them to stay clear of the casters too.There are still plenty of people with common courtesy,just more that don't.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,440 Posts
Thought if you had the bigger boat you ALWAYS had the right of way 🙄
Or does it just seem that way
That would be the law-of-tonnage... ;)

Or were you perhaps thinking of the "law-of-charter-boat" as in the charter boat ALWAYS has the right-of-way... :rolleyes:

One that many folks are not aware of is the "law-of-restricted-in-maneuverability" (this one is actually legitimate folks). A vessel restricted in maneuverability, is to be granted the right-of-way. How can you tell? Visual clues - like 400' spread with planer boards, talk with them on radio. A drifting boat not under power is more restricted than a boat trolling... Of course if you are drifting with your bow trolling motor down making adjustments, are you really drifting... hmm

After about 25-degrees of course correction to get away from the other boat, I will invoke one of the above rules... Of course that is just to keep you out of my gear. Vessel-to-vessel collision at trolling speeds is extremely rare and would be very embarrassing at 2.4mph... To avoid a vessel-to-vessel collision, I would, like all others, take any evasive action necessary and then deal with the tangled mess later.

Not an excuse but as an informational FYI - with big boards out - early season with braid & trutrips we can do about 25-degree emergency turn - summer with steel line out we are down to about 15-degree emergency turn. Note - a boat out recreational fishing (including charters) is not considered "FISHING" with respect to your priority in right-of-way rules. That designation is only for commercial licensed fishing vessels while fishing. Thus charters are not FISHING...

Simple solution is to control your boat - get an autopilot (or at least bungie-cord your steering wheel to the seat so that you hold somewhat of a predictable path), have someone responsible for watching for other boats, talk on your radio and coordinate moves... Above all - play nice folks as most of us are out there just trying to have some fun...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts