close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

i have been told to stiffle my report!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freyedknot, Jul 17, 2004.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

twice in the past year i have been asked to not post fishing or duck hunting reports . i guess these guys READ the reports from others but will never give one . can't believe how many guys believe the wild game is theirs and don't want to share it.

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

... you'll have that. But maybe in time they will learn its not necessary to be selfish. Until then....keep posting anyway. You are only responsible for your own actions and attitudes someday.;)

- Rumi

3. catking

catking Banned

Post away freyedknot. If you or any other members have trouble, contact me through a pm, this is part of my duty on this site. CATKING

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sharing information is what this site is about. If someone has problems with that, do as Rick said let one of us know. Keep posting, most will enjoy the information, for those that don't, well that is their problem.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Freyed...I would imagine that for the 1 guy who has a problem, you've got (as of today) 1851 other folks that appreciate em :D I know I do!

6. Freyedknot,
    I too have had friends prefer that I not post a report. So, I finally decided that I can at least post my part of the fishing and hunting reports.

I enjoy getting info from this site. And sharing information is what this site is all about. I may not go totally into detail on my reports, But that is where PM's and Posting Replies become handy.

I feel that OGF is very important to all of us, Not only to share our reports, But to set good examples and pass along information to all of the members that my not have had a grandpa, a dad, or a friend to take them fishing.

I know that we have several young fisherman among our ranks. Everyone of us can provide a positive influence on each and every one of these young people.

I believe that is also important for us to set good examples and also pass on the knowledge that we all hold so close and dear to our hearts. As long as we continue to communicate to each other, OGF will continue to be one of the best tools a fisherman can have.

I have met several friends on this site and they have went out of there way to help me, I am going to return the favor!!!!!

Good fishing, Stan ;)

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Information , techniques, the simple facts & an embellished story is good. One should exercize much caution when giveing up a spot. Alot of people other than ourselves might have that spot as their "honey hole" and suddenly it will become under severe fishing pressure. I know this is true from seeing an experiment run. A "bogus" spot was posted where no one ever fishes, the next day, there was over 5-6 vehicles parked there fishing. Even if the spot is not one I normally fish, I still feel I should not give specifics as I might be putting them on some else's favorite spot. I talked about Meldahl Dam once, when I had caught a nice striper there ( 1999 or 2000), for several days later, there was a small crowd who got it "off the net". I try to not be specific, not giving up where I launched from on the Ohio River or where I trolled at CC or Brookville, just specifics as 12' FOW @ 3 MPH or the edges of drop-offs, etc.
    Last but not least, if someone does give up a spot, I'm going to fish it too, saves me alot of time looking for my own... ;)

8. mrfishohio

Leave the spots in PM's, I give too much info thru them, with the understanding it's not going to be posted in public forum. Recently there's a rash of guys posting fishing out of Tanner's Creek, now everyone in the surrounding tri-state area thinks that's the place to fish. Not that it's great, it's just a convient ramp, I've caught better & bigger fish in most any other area of the river, but you'd think it was a mecca. :rolleyes:

9. mrfishohio

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have also had the same problem, but I have never been one to care what anyone thinks about what I do. That is why I enjoy life more than most.

11. When just about all of us post reports, it' s simply to help others in their search for great fishing. That's what this place is about. Helping and teaching others.

As far as that goes, I am actually working on a seminar that explains OGF and how to use it to better experience fishing and the outdoors.

Ohio Gamefishing isn't about "taking" and stealing people's spots, it's about giving back.

Great responses guys, and freyedknot, I would hope your reports would continue.

BTW, in about 20 minutes, I'm heading to Nimisila and I know where the bass are. They're in the water. ;)

Carl

12. Hey carl!!! I know that they are in the water. :) But, Which side of the boat are you catching the bass? The right or the Left??????
    I could not resist!!! Just a little Humor,,,,
    Thanks,,, Stan :D :D :D

13. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

I always fish off the left side! They are always from right to left on my fish finder so I try to head them off! :D :D
    Bob

14. The detail described in a report should consider the type of water ( river, inland lake, large or small, Lake Erie ) plus additional circumstances. I have no problem describing a general area on Erie as well as the depth and method used provided I would not be fishing a tournament very soon. General information gets those not familiar with the area a start but does not guarantee them fish. From there on the reader is on his own in locating fish. Erie is a darn big "pond" and is there to be shared by all.

A good example is my recent report "School Day" where I shared my experience with EZMARC but didn't give location as Marc will be fishing a tournament in the same area which he graciously shared with me.

Inland lakes deserve other consideration. I made a post on Seneca and gave general information "fished rocky points" which should get a true fisherman started. I also received a PM asking where the points were located and which were best! Needless to say I did not answer what I cinsidered was an individual that was not interested enourh in fishing to put forth the effort to learn a lake and techniques.

Though I don't fish rivers other than for steelhead, I can understand how a particular hole or area could be almost fished out for species other than migratory fish such as steelhead as well as walleye and white bass in the spring, which I don't support at all. I would only name the river and where I launched out of and no more unless it was a very generalize area description.

Once I know I can trust an Individual I am happy to share all I can with them regarding a particular piece of structure, location or method. Isn't that what this Site is about? Making new friends and sharing. :)

15. JBJ

JBJ

I have found that even if I tell folks when/where/how and with what, they don't always catch fish. I always hold off telling them how they should hold their mouth while fishing that hole...

Sometimes the "little" things matter. ;)

16. freyedknot

the remarks didn't come from ogf. they came from other places.they don't bother me ,makes me want to post even more!

17. Good! We like posts!

The best way to get to the fish is to GET OUT THERE and figure it out. It varies for every body of water, and the reports here should be used as a tool, not the last word. Once you take some of the knowledge we share here with your own experiences on whatever body of water you fish, and things DO finally start to click, it's a great feeling and you'll realize just how great a resource we have here. Then, all we ask, is people share that knowledge and give back. Maybe your technique will work on someone else's home waters, and you may teach somebody something they didn't know. That's why we're here.

18. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

On the TV shows, they will often times not even mention where they are fishing. Maybe 50% of the time they will. They understand that if they said exactly where they were, that place would be inundated by fishermen soon after.

Sometimes they will mention which lake, but never have I heard them say exactly where on the lake. That would be nuts. I have been able in the past to see where they were just by surrounding landmarks, but I think even their editors go to lengths to avoid airing telltale landmarks. Much like MrFish's pictures with the cartoonish backgrounds. Many holes are sought out and searched and learned about by guys and they obviously don't want to divulge that info. If you want pointers, by all means ask. I do admit to begging for spots in the past when I had somebody with me whom I wanted to catch fish, but I won't ask for myself, other than general info like baits or such.

I have also seen the results of a public disclosure about a certain area. Years ago, a local TV guy in Pennsylvania did a piece on trout fishing on a stretch of water up in the mountains. He did a sort of P.R. piece about an outfitter that kept a little shop up in this tiny town near this stretch of water. They did about 15 minutes of fishing time and the other part of the show on the area and the shop. During the next two weeks the outfitter was deluged with anglers showing up to fish this "untouched" water. There were problems with the local people in regards to anglers trespassing on their property, damages by guys in trucks driving in the woods to get to said stream and other issues. Plus the outfitter spent more time yakking at people than with them and it was a headache. The guy vowed never to get into such detail again. So, it can cause problems.

I will give info if asked as I can't fish enough to really have a "honey hole", but I don't expect you to give me your info.

UFM82

Now, I have been known to paylake a few guys in the past... :eek:

19. freyedknot

i usually give vague reports if any. some people seem to think certain areas such as the night bite is their actio and should not be discussed.