close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I had no idea.....

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Reel Lady, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Gosh, I feel really bad now... Reel Man (Rob) and I caught 3 beautiful catfish at West Branch a few nights ago. They were the biggest fish that either of us had ever caught. (each was 20 lbs) Well, we kept them....took pictures of them... showed them off to our neighbors and kids... and, yes... (gulp...), fileted them :eek:
    I am new to this whole boating thing, and lack "catfish" knowledge. I have read so many posts regarding catch and release, especially in the catfish discussions. I had absolutely NO idea that catfish (and others) were in danger of extinction if "catch and release" was not implemented.
    I felt so guilty watching these fish being fileted, simply because they were so big, and had lived so many (peaceful) years... and then "I" had to come along and end there life for really NO GOOD REASON! To be honest, I dont really like to eat fish anyway!
    What I can tell you is that there is no way in the world I will ever participate in that again... I will continue to catch.... take a nice digital photo or 2 or 3.....give the cat a big "Thank You!"... and then send him back into its undisturbed world to hopefully have lots of little cats one day. :D
    I LOVE this website and continue to learn more and more from each and every one of you. Thank you ALL! :)

Reel Lady (Marcia)[​IMG]

2. catking

catking Banned

Hey Reel Lady- Don't read into the catch & release to deep. Catfish are FAR from becoming extinct. Just in certain waters they can be severly overfished, West Branch not being one of them. Don't feel guilty for keeping a few to eat ;) Small flathead cats (the one on the left in the pic) should be returned as they will grow to 40 -60 pounds. Channel cats are great eaters, and a few should be taken out to fillet. Nice fish, and please give us all some full reports !! Thanks for being a part of this site. More women need to get involved........ CATKING

3. No one should feel bad about keeping a few fish to eat! Oh one more thing you might want to check that scale.

4. Reel Lady

"You might want to check that scale?" Why would you say that? Just curious....

5. This fish weighed 22#[​IMG]

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

ballpark 10 on the flathead, 6 to 8lbs on each channel. Only way they weighed 20 was with a lead baseball in their mouth. Unless you and your husband are pushing 7 foot tall and 300lbs (I know you aren't)

7. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Give them a break, its easy to over estimate the weight of fish when your excited, excpecially when its the biggest ones you have ever caught. Nice fish ReelLady, and Im gld you see the importance of C&R. I know pictures can be deceving, if you say they are 20lbs then I beleive you.

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

No need to feel bad...it's legal to harvest those beast! :D
    No need to check your scale either, you're just displaying traits of a true fisherperson. :D
    Just don't give weights and show pictures too...they'll get you everytime...Hehehe.

9. I totally agree with mrfishohio, truck, and shuvlhed1 Those are nice catfish but the weights of those catfish were more than doubled...

10. I’m about as strict a C&R person that you will find. I see nothing wrong with keeping a few channel cats for the dinner table. The flathead is a different story, but I’m sure that the next monster that you catch will be released (so that it can be caught again). One of the best parts about this site is educating new anglers about the benefits of C&R. It improves the fishing for everyone! Either way, Nice fish! Now, there is nothing wrong with your scale………know where I can purchase the exact model? LOL

It is very difficult to estimate fish weight even for the “experts”. I have been disappointed more than a few times since I started using a digital scale. You would be amazed at the size of a 5LB bass let alone a 20LB flathead! You would also be amazed at the number of people that “claim” to catch either on a regular basis.

11. Like the others have said; don't beat yourself up over it! I'm all for conservation and have very strong opinions when it comes to catfish, but it is perfectly OK to selectively harvest some cats. Maybe release the young Flat next time though! :)

And here's a tip for reporting your catch on the boards -

When I don't have a scale/accurate weight for the fish I report the fish lengths. And by the way - 26.5'', and 28'' channels are impressive :D

12. Reel Lady

:eek: It's clear to me after reading those few posts that men seem to be much more preoccupied with "inches" than women are! :p
    I posted some pics in my gallery showing the lengths of the fish. Gosh, if I had only taken pictures of the digital scale too!!!!!!!!!!
    And here is something I wrote in another discussion:

"We used a digital bathroom scale. Rob weighed himself first, and then re-weighed himself while holding the fish. It may not be a completely accurate way to weigh fish, but hey, it gives you a pretty good idea. (the flathead was a solid 20lbs, and the channels waivered between 19-20lbs)
    To be honest though, the weight of the fish means nothing to me at all....
    The fact that Rob and I both caught the biggest fish that EITHER one of us has ever caught on the SAME night is the greatest thing ever!"

On a final note... I dont view my fishing experiences as competition with anybody else. I fish because I am addicted to the anticipation and excitement that fills the air around us each and every time the reel is cast.
    I have no need to ever exaggerate the length or weight of any of the pictures that I post, because in my mind...thats not what this is all about... at least not for me.
    [​IMG]

13. Sorry to come across the wrong way .Great job on the p/best cats!!!!daryl

14. Congrats on your fish! All time best are always exciting its what makes us keep going back!!

15. Reel Lady

16. catfishhunter33 -

Some people prefer a young Flat for the frier over a channel. In areas with high populations of Flats like South Carolina many people release channels and keep 3-5 lb Flats for the table.

To be perfectly clear - I am not suggesting Ohio fishermen start eating baby Flats; just reporting what people do in states with strong populations of Flats.

17. catking

catking Banned

Weights, measurments, pictures.It's all irrelative. Gettin out and catchin some fish is the important thing ;) The wife told me something yesterday that made me smile.She said that guys NEVER grow up. That you never hear women bitchin about things they do...... ;) Guys , I hate to tell ya all this, and we probably already knew this, but women who read all our reports just snicker and shake their heads :D ....Have some hush puppies with them cats Reel Lady ;) .THE CATKING !!!

18. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Great catch! You've done something I haven't......actually landed a flat! Congrats!