I found a true natural

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by sevenx, Nov 21, 2007.

1. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

On Monday I was giving a casting demo for Seven Hills Schools phys ed class's, 7 in all each 35 minutes long. All 6,7,8th graders. All told 210 kids. A few had been or casted a fly rod, but most had never even seen a fly rod. As I worked with kids and gave my little talk I put them on the line with a rod and let them have at it. I in the 6th class I notice a little 6th grade girl timidly approach the rod and pick it up, she had never done this before. To my amazement and the same of a friend who came along to help she began to throw near perfect cast's imediatly, It was incredible in my 33 year flyfishing I have never seen anything like it, and she only got better. By the end of her 20 minutes she had a loop the size of a soccer ball delivering 40' of line, delicetly laying out on the field, She was a tiny little thing and had the grace of a seasond caster, I could not believe it, truely amazing, I told her the magnitude of he ability and her face turned bright red and she shyley said thank you and went running back to her friends who ofcourse were all giggeling and poking fun at her. I wish I had her name. I plan on contacting the phy, ed teacher to find her parents just to let them know what the daughter posseses and encourage them to involve her in the sport. I am still in awe this little girl. This could be the next Joan Wulff if she has an interest in pursuing this sport. WOW> S

2. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

Great job to you to. Way to get youth involved.

May i ask how you went about this?

3. Great story! What a wonderful thing to be a part of. I hope she does pursue it..I guess some just have the natural feeling for it.
    Janus

4. sevenx

I have a regular customer who's wife is a teacher at the school. She was talking to the phys ed teacher and she mentioned that she flyfished and wanted to get them involved as something different for them. Well the regular spoke to her about it and she said she did not know who to talk to about it. He gave her my email and I said yes immediately. I love to get the kids involved they are the one's who will carry this on and hopefully on to there kids. My shop is closed on Mondays so we set it up for a Monday and went out to the soccer fields and had a blast, the kids were great, they were into it. I gave my time at no cost to help the school and it paid off emensly in personal satisfaction. Add the little girl into the mix and it far outwayed any financial gain I would have recieved. Thanks for the comments and question. S

5. Utard

Utard

I think that's great. Glad to see some who have the opportunity to fruther this way of life take it and influence those young minds. Some of them will hopefully continue and learn from their fishing experiences, life lessons.

I've heard others who make parallels to naturally great casters and naturally great musicians. Something about the tempo, beat and internal "feel" of something beautifully artistic. It would be interesting to know if she was very musically inclined too. I'll bet she is.

6. sevenx

Funny you should mention that I am also a musician, a drummer and percussionist. Allthough my casting has been described as the ugliest cast that goes where it supposed to.;) S

7. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

Must be why I suck at guitar too!!!!!! I never really analyzed my cast but I am sure I've developed some bad habits but it works. SAme with guitar it works around a campfire.:eek: :eek:

8. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

That is awesome to see that happen since it is very rare. Goodluck convincing the parents that she has a gift unbeknown it.