I finally got one!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by joemamma, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Well it has been a long hunting season and I am glad to finally get some meat for the freezer. No one else in my house will eat deer and it is tough to cook a meal for one with a family of three. That being said I can only shoot one deer a year because that is all the more I can eat. So I started the season looking for a trophy and passed on many easy oppurtunities. Then later in the year I couldn't get a deer in front of me for anything. So I am glad to harvest this deer and get some meat, thank you Mrs. Deer for giving me the oppurtunity. My first bow kill, she was quarting toward me, I shot her at about 12 yards through the back of the shoulder and into a lung. Found her about 50 yards from the shot. I have heard about the hype about the Rage broadheads and now I am a true believer, flat out amazing hole. One blade did bend when it cut through a rib.

I was also amazed at how little blood there was since I had only one hole and it was high in her.

Next year I am going to get some meat quick, and then if a wall hanger shows up I will figure that out then.

Oh one other question, the following day I went back out to check the gut pile. It appears the other deer in the area followed everywhere I drug the carcass and then provided pellets and urine all over the trail. I found this very odd, are they marking territory or is this some kind of warning to me???

2. Congrats on the harvest! I will be going out tomorrow. I plan to get in the stand by 11:30 and sit until dusk. This is it, I have one tag left and plan to shoot the first thing I see. Hopefully it's a buck, but I will take another Doe.

3. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

Good for you man. There's nothing like your first bowkill, way to hang in there

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Way to stick with it man. I got 2 with the bow early season, then passed on a few. Only to lose the rest of my season to an illness. Congrats!