close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by BuzzBob, Mar 20, 2005.

1. BuzzBob

BuzzBob Take a Dad fishing

I fish the Rocky for Steelhead 8-10 times a year. I use a spinning reel with jig/maggots and rooster tails or some other type of lure. I catch a few but by no means am I an expert. (I'd love to learn to fly fish)

Anyway, I always thought that the way the river looked today (high and muddy) that you couldn't catch Steelhead. Today I went to a spot where the beavers call home and watched two guys catch one and place it on a stringer with another one. I didn't talk to them but they had a minnow bucket so I assume that's what they were using.

So how were they catching them in the "dirty" water? MMmm?

2. I don't think anyone said you can't catch them it is just many times more hard to do so... Find the cleanest water you can with some kind of slack current conditions and have fun... I hear that spawn works better then anything else when its muddy but others may jump in and suggest otherwise... I saw some guys using power bait earlier in the year at the boat launch area and catching some that wya too...
    Come on guys chimein and lets share the wealth (knowledge)

3. "a spot where the beavers call home" has soooo many fish stacked in there that the odds are increased dramatically. I don't think it is any more than that. The amazing thing to me is that when visibility is better that one isn't caught on every cast.

If that thing were gone it would sure open up a lot more river for fishing and take away the barrel of ducks too.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you have to use fresh spawn from ohio steelhead. don't use any store
    baught egg sacs. fish slack water , inside edge of a bend in the river, and also current breaks and structure. (large rocks and /or logs and log jams. they stack up in slow /slack areas when the water is high and muddy.

5. I agree on the fresh steelhead eggs, they seem to locate them best. It is tough in dirty high water but they still have to eat. It is just getting your bait to them so they can see it. I also like behind the inside bend of the river. current is the slowest. Also remember that the bank has slower current because of friction, so I tend to fish close to the banks in high water conditions.

6. jay01

jay01 Banned

Buddy I havent landed a steelhead all year. I fished rocky, vermillion,grand I tryed my fly pole,noodle rod spawn sacks,minnows,jig and maggotts,I trow everthing I was ever taught.yet not one fish.Dont feel bad I under stand your chaped ass. Ill take friends they will caught 1 or 2 a piece me none 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 I just guess its not the year for me.Ive even fished a area that is stacked with fish.I always here the same thing"they were here yesterday""we killed them earlier""if only the water was cleaner" :confused: im ready to just quit. :mad:

7. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

hey jay01 when i see you this saturday i'll give you a shoulder to cry on when i'm pullin fish.lol

8. Bob,

If you are fishing muddy water, fish larger baits and brighter colors. If the Steelies can locate it they will hit it.

Wes

9. Two

Two