close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I caught the state record largemouth yesterday

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by flathunter, May 24, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I was throwing my castnet yesterday at a public lake in southern ohio. trying to catch shad, I caught a huge bass in my net, I ran up to my truck and got out my scales then ran back down to the water..The bass weighed 14.6-bs on my digital scales...the current ohio record largemouth weighed 13.13lbs..The fish swam away unharmed..kinda neat to have the state record largemouth in my hands..I would mention the Lake but it is a fairly small body of water, I dont want to see it get overrun with people even tho it gets fished pretty hard now.

2. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

Congrats Jack! That is darn good for a die hard catman like you!!! Must have been awesome to have the state record LM bass in your hands... Very cool indeed!

3. catking

catking Banned

VERY COOL !!!! And you are 100% right in NOT disclosing the lake that you netted this bass at..... Nicely done turning it loose, I know some might have kept it for the glory..... After all the state record is an old record I do believe.... Maybe from the 70's ???? This is GREAT Jackson !!! .... I'm really happy for you Jack, just to hold that fish would be great............. :) THE CATKING !!!

4. flathunter

Yea it was an awesome feeling just holding it, I of course got no satisfaction of catching it in a net.

5. glad you didn't use it for bait ;)

Steve

6. I cant believe you didnt keep it for flathead bait HA HA :D :D Could have caught a state record flathead on a state record largemouth.
    That would have be pretty cool.

7. You might want to consider doing some bass fishing. Or, just send me a PM with the GPS coordinates!

I think that one of the hook companies (Mustad or Owner) was offering $10,000 for a state record bass caught with their hooks. I’m sure that there is a lot more “prize” money available in endorsements for breaking the LM bass record!

Have a plan! Keep the fish alive after catching it….I’m sure that BPS would LOVE to have the Ohio State Record bass in their tank.

BIG bass = BIG money!

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

jack..you rock maaan.. what next?? a record chub?? :p

9. Shame on you rooster, cant believe you would us a big bass for your own financial gain:mad: I bet it would have made a good sandwich!:D

10. flathunter

You must throw anything but baitfish back if you catch it in a castnet...I was considering getting somone at the lake to keep the fish in the water in the net while I went home and got my camera, but I was worried they might run off with it.

11. Not suggesting that you should have illegally kept the fish. But, it is still in there, and can be caught! BIG MONEY!

Twistertail: You can buy a LOT of filet-O-Fish sandwiches with State Record Bass money!

12. Think about it. That fish was post spawn female. Probably still recovering from spawning. With eggs she'd go about approx. 1.5-2lb more. That is awesome.

Norm

13. catking

catking Banned

They just might have ran off with it Jackson.... Good call on your part.... This reminds me of DOCTOR catching the state record hybrid and releasing it ,,,, I know yours was netted, but it shows this state has some HUGE bass. And the lake you netted that bass at has some big bass genes still there ;) Good to know for sure............CATKING

14. I could maybe even get one of those double fish samiches!!:D

Speaking of big money fish I saw something about the world carp championship and you get a million bucks if you broke a record, I think its in New York.

I wonder how much that guy got who caught that record catfish in Texas? I think they call him Splash, anyone know about that?

That would have just been awsome to see a fish that big. I guess that does answer the question about if that record will ever be broken. Wasnt there a thread on here a while ago about breaking the state record? I know I have heard people say that it would never be broken cause the fish came from a private pond and the guy stocked the pond with trout and that is why it got so big.

15. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I would of turned it loose too, Man o man just to know that you held it is awsome. I have caught them in my cast nets before But never that Big. Im glad to see you turned it loose. I wouldnt mind knowing where you caught it :D :B :D

16. OK Jack... How much will it cost for the name of the lake? :p

That is pretty cool man...

17. I’m offering 50% of all profits!

18. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Congratulations on throwing the fish back and keeping the name of the lake to yourself. To many greedy money hungry people out there that wouldn't have done what you did. If there was more people like you maybe our natural resorces wouldn't be in the shape they are in. Nice job!

19. Man just think of the odds, I mean this is what a 1 in a million fish and it just happen to be in the lake you were getting bait and just happen to be in the exact spot where you threw your cast net. Simply amazing. And that you had a scale with ya, do you always have that with you when getting bait or was it just by chance?

20. flathunter

I had left my tackle bag in the truck from fishing the day before, that is the only reason I had a scale with me.

Clyde you have an idea?LOL jUST KIDDING!