close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I can't believe that

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

nobody has posted about Lance Armstrong and what he accomplished yesterday.
    Everyone just drools over golf, nascar, football and basketball players but most of these guys are worthless punks (especially basketball).
    Here's a real guy with a real story of what one can accomplish with hard work, a positive attitude and a little luck.
    If some kid is looking for an outstanding role model, I can't think of a better one than Lance Armstrong.

2. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

IMO Lance may be the best athlete of all time. He not only has dominated the sport for the last decade, but he has overcome such hardships. He is still kicking the !@#$ out of young men in their prime. I agree that he does not recieve enough recognition here in the states. If he were from one of the Euro countries, he would be the most celebrated athlete that they ever had. Biking in Europe is second to soccer but is a very big deal. All of the fans in Europe are just glad that he is not going to compete anymore. In fact many people over there hate him. Go Lance!

3. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

He's the best Biker there ever was....................

4. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I couldnt of said it better myself ! He is the MAN ! I love it that the French hate him so much, Rub it in their face Lance !! I have watched all the specials on Lance & he is sorta of like Superman. ;)

Cat Mazter

5. Yes, he's a great athlete and his accomplishments are incredible, but people just don't care about bike races, especially races in another country.
    The Tour de France has been a big deal the last few years, but watch the newspapers next year. That race will be back in the Briefs package.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there is not ONE other athelete in the world with the willpower,stamina or intestinal fortitude,that he has demonstrated.but i think he was blessed with more than "a little" luck,to overcome the odds he faced,and climb to the top.
    i'm not into the cycling thing,or most sports for that matter,but he's someone who deserves admiration for what he has accomplished.dominating the tour for so long,would be a feat even for someone who has all the odds in their favor.i doubt anyone will repeat what he did,for a long time,if ever.
    i hope he has a long and happy retirement :)

how's that,lewser :D

7. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Lance Armstrong is definitely an athlete far superior than any other bicyclists in the world. I just don't think many people give a crap about bicycling. I did at one time, then I turned 16 and got a car.

Tony Hawk is the most awesomest skate border in the world, but not many people give a crap about that either.

8. I don't follow cycling other than the tour de france but most people in the "know", armstrongs best friend and partner included, say that he is best tour racer ever but not the best cyclist. There is some other euro guy that won lots of tour de frances (not 7 in a row though) and also dominated in all the other races for years. Lance decided early on to only focus on Tour de France and he's been successful but he rarely competed in or won other races. Think if Tiger Wood only played in the Master's and won it 7 times in a row but never played in the minor events or the US/British opens. He wouldn't be considered better than Jack.

I'm not trying to take away from Lance's accomplishement though, IMO the Tour de france is THE hardest event in sports and for a cocky brash American, and a Texan at that, to come into an elite European dominated sport taking place in France and kick the snot out of all of them for the better part of a decade is amazing...oh yeah and I forgot that minor part about him overcoming cancer after he was given few months to live, yeah it's a big deal

9. I Agree Hes The Best Ever..do They Do Drug Tests On Bikers Too?hes Amazing

10. Um...................................Who is Lance Armstrong?????

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Yep, most people here in the US don't care about cycling, me included. But watching what he went through-chemo, brain surgery and all and then doing what he did just impresses the hell out of me.

I think you did just fine mizfit;)

12. I'm with you Lewzer, for the most part. :) I didn't really care too much about cycling till Lance and his amazing story with cancer and the Tour de France came along. For the past 3 years or so I have been watching the Tour on OLN like it was fishing or motorcycle racing. :D I didn't miss any of the Stages and watched some of them more than once, all the specials, etc. :D It will be really sad for me around this time next year, but one other good thing he will leave for cycling is the fact that I, and people like myself, have begun to learn the names of other American cyclists as well as the whole Team Discovery, Jan Ullrich, and Ivan Basso. Now, I want to see what IS going to happen without Lance in the Tour so I hope OLN covers the Tour just as well without Lance competing.

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yes, he has a great story. I wouldn't be surprised to see a movie of the week deal. Maybe his GF would do the music for it too.
    I did hear a commentary on him the other day. They were saying since he's dominated the sport for so long, it's become boring. A great accomplishment, but there's nothing new any of the writers can say or dig up about him that hasn't already been written. They said the same thing has happened in the past when some racing team dominated the European circut or something too. Armstrong's retirement will open it up for some new blood and new stories.

14. Ok I take it that it is somebody that rides bicycles and had cancer.

15. Its gonna suck for who ever wins next year cause everyone will say they only won because Lance did'nt race. I think he owes to the other bikers and the sport to race until someone beats him.

16. We were watching the end of the final stage where he won in Paris. The first thing done after he stepped off of his bike was go into a trailer to be drug tested. They guys on tv said it was mandatory for the winner of the race.