close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I can't believe I'm posting this but.....

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by esoxhunter, May 8, 2004.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

...for the first time since I was a kid, I went bluegill fishing. Broke the fly-rod out which I have only used for trout, and caught a mess of gills at my local pond on the west side of Columbus. Got one really nice stud 'gill on a royal coachman. dry flies, nymphs, streamers...didn't matter. Every fly I tied on got whomped. Even had one bass roll on the coachman but never hooked it. This wasn't exactly very challenging, but catching the big gill on a fly rod was a bunch of fun. I should have some pics to post tomorrow.
    EH

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I know what you mean, pure fun!

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

testaments of a musky fisherman :D

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

here is one of the mess of gills I caught yesterday.
    MUSKIES: all other fish are just bait! Had to say it before WD beat me to it :)

Attached Files:

5. 3wt fly rod + bluegills = A Blast :D

6. catking

catking Banned

That's really the only TRUE way of fishing. This is the root of our sport. Your thread brings back some great memories , fly roddin for bass and gills at Cowan Lake. CATKING

7. Bluegill are great fun on light gear! I love fishing for gills at AEP with my ultralight. Never tried with a fly rod though.

8. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I'm with ya man. I went to a pond Sat and since the bass weren't biting I broke out the fly rod, tied on a small hook, put on a wax worm and caught 25 or 30 gills in about that many minutes. Got so tired had to go home and take a nap.