Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang! Love the site. Thanks for all the info.

Unfortunately for me I am only going to be able to squeeze ONE day of Maumee fun into my schedule over the next week. I do NOT want that one day of walleye fishing to be either of the upcoming weekend days.

Would you recommend coming tomorrow? This weather is complete crap. But thinking back over the years some of my best days catching eyes were nasty weather days! So I really don't mind.

I'm coming from Avilla, IN (north of Fort Wayne) so the drive isn't too awful. If I came tomorrow I wouldn't feel like I need to leave at 4 am to get in line like on a weekend! But I am getting nervous about missing the run if I wait until later on next week.........

P.S. I'm not looking for any secret spots. I will plan on going to Buttonwood - going just a little downstream and heading out to the middle. I just hope I don't take a swim! That water is m.o.v.i.n.g.!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you can handle the weather, the crowds should be down, the fish are there, the water temp should still be in good shape. I would not worry about the run being over just yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swantucky! I just may get up and head that way. 2 years ago the weather was the worst I had seen in years and I got my limit at Buttonwood right off the bat. Spent the next 5 or so hours catching fish after fish. (Letting them go of course!)

I am just now looking at my journal and see that my best times for fishing B'wood are at a "maumee tackle" river level of 580'. I'll have to check in the morning but I think it should be close to that.

Good luck all! See you on the water (for those of you who aren't skeered of a little cool breeze!)

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Gut Hook, I'm sure you can count on the run happening for at least the next couple weeks yet. If you can brave the weather, I'm sure you'll find enough elbow room down there through this week. Reminds me of my trip last fall fishing the Manistee for Salmon. Only the diehards showed up that weekend. Was pretty peaceful and I had a good camp site.

I'm not hitting the Maumee this year. Waiting til this weather breaks to hit the reefs. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember years ago we use to get up north for the salmon run. We fished the Muskegon a few times. What a blast!

We are going to hit the reefs this year as well. My brothers boat is big enough for the close to shore fishing but not enough to hit the summer fishing out there. We went out of Brest Bay once last year and had a great time. His boat is an 18' Sea Nymph. It's a semi-V which sucks in the waves. You feel every one on your way back!

But we will be trying the reefs for our first time this year. It sounds great. I just can't pass up the eyes in the river while I'm waiting!

I was able to bag 35 huge crappie on Monday night with my boys. They're 6 and 4 so this was one of their first big batches of fish!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
....will this cold snap slow down the bite in the rivers? how'd it fish today 4/4?
The fishing was good today. The bite will slow down when the water temp drops, which should not happen for another day or two. The fair weather guys were not there this afternoon which made fishing nice, far more relaxing than when every guy with a rod within 50 miles is there.

·
1,288 Posts
I hit Sylvan dam this afternoon on my way home from K-ville. Only lasted about 15 minutes. Lost the only 2 jigs I had with me to the rocks, and froze from the bite of the wind. I hadn't planned on stopping, but no one was there and I thought why not, I had a couple rods tied up from last night in the back of the truck. I know they've been catching them there, but not today. As soon as the weather clears, I'll have my 18' Starcraft I/O out and try the lakes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sylvan, eh? It's a small world, isn't it!?

We use to fish Sylvan in the late 80s/early 90s when it was lowered so they could work on the dam. The fishing was absolutely fantastic! You had to be there by about 4:30 in the morning because the bite was over by 7:30. I bet we averaged 50 nice perch and gills each time.

·
1,288 Posts
Truly is a small world. Welcome to the site neighbor. Great bunch of guys and gals here and the site is full of information.

Wow, I could handle some of those perch, but actually the walleye are what I was after. It's what I'm always after. They are my favorite, and the only fish my wife will eat besides that at Big Turkey Lake Tavern.

Maybe we'll catch up to you on the reefs, or maybe one of our local lakes. Best of luck. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brought home 3 nice jacks! Snagged a few more than that.

I went to SideCut Park. Finally found the fish a little downstream of the rapids. They were sitting there in the deeper/slower water.

All fish were caught at noon today. I fished from 11 until 2:30 and had to leave without number 4.

Pink head with the multi-color twister tail.

p.s. I got sick of tying on the real carolina rig so I just used split shots. No problems.

·
1,288 Posts
Good job. Was it very crowded? Just biding my time here. Won't be long and we'll be out on the lake. Glad you didn't come back empty handed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would guess there were maybe 50 people as far as I could see up river. The fewest number of people I've ever seen out there during the run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts