I broke my computer

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by seethe303, Jan 15, 2009.

1. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

haha, yup. it is very possible I did.

fortunately, the computer in question is a seven year old Dell that was on its last legs anyway. I was using it to mess around knowing that something like this may happen.

so maybe one of you will have some input on how to fix tings before I go about getting a cheapy desktop to replace it.

I created a dual partition on my hardrive and was running xp and Ubuntu.

this slowed my pc down enough that it annoyed me and I decided to remove Ubuntu. so I *thought* I correctly removed and deleted the partition. well, that wasn't the case.

when I rebooted the computer tried to boot into Ubuntu. of course, only most of it was deleted so I received an error.

so far I haven't been able to get past the error. I can't get to the BIOS, I can't get into safe mode. the floppy and cd drive aren't being read (I don't think)...either that or they aren't being read because I can't tell the computer to change the boot order.

I am not stressing about the computer because as I said it is an old old dell. mostly I am pissed because I let this happen :p ah well, live and learn.

thanks for taking the time to read my plight.

2. i would find somebody u know to wipe it and start fresh

3. If you have a bootable windows disk or somthing, it should read on startup......Try putting a bootable disk in and do that. Your boot sequence should pick up the disk. Seems that you have tried all angles so far though?

4. seethe303

yea, I have a bootable windows disk. when I boot it either doesn't get far enough to read the disk, or the ubuntu partition it is trying to boot to can't read the cd drive.

5. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

What model dell is it? To get to bios you usually hit F2 during boot. From bios you should be able to change the boot sequence to boot from the CD first. That should bypass your Ubuntu partition.

6. seethe303

I can't recall what model dell it is off the top of my head. I know how to get in the BIOS though, it is F2. I've reformatted it a number of times, so I (mostly, ha!) know what I am doing. It WILL NOT go into the BIOS. It is really quite strange.

I am thinking about using this as an excuse to get a new web surfring machine. The pc in question has been iffy for a number of years. 512 ram and a 20 gig harddrive was barely getting me by.

7. If you have another comp. take your messed up HD out and install it as a secondary HD on the good one. Reformat then reinstall and boot up your windows disk.

8. seethe303

yea, that is what it is looking like I'll have to do.

ah well, I have only myself to blame.

9. viper1

viper1 Senior Member

Check best buy they have a Toshiba laptop advertised now at 379. I just ordered one. They are not in stores so you need to order. It has a 4.8 to 5 star rating out of 5. check it out.

Intel® Celeron® processor 585
    Features a 667MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.16GHz processor speed.
    1GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM
    For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.
    Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
    15.4" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display
    With TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution showcases your movies and games in rich detail. Native support for 720p content.
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Offers spacious storage options and fast read/write times.
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
    With 128MB-286MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory for lush images.
    4-in-1 bridge media adapter
    Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO formats.
    3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
    Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
    Allows wireless connection to the Internet.
    10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
    Along with a 56 Kbps modem for easy wired Web connectivity.
    Weighs only 5.5 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin
    For easy portability.
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled
    Software package included with Toshiba DVD Player and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 also included.

Just thought Id let some others know who would like a nice laptop at a low price.

10. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Sounds like you may have damaged your MBR. Something like partition magic can fix that. Splitting partitions on single physical drives is always asking for trouble IMO.