Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Paddle N Fin Kayak Fishing Podcast
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the day off work again so that gave me a 4 hour window to fish this afternoon. Had to bust the drysuit back out. Thought it was gonna rain and never did but it was cool out. Best 5 went 81.5” including another 19” and an 18.5”. Also caught quite a few fish and knocked out a few challenges on ANGLR! Water temp was 59 degrees on the river today. 4th smallmouth over 19” or over in the last week and 2 days! This past month has been nuts.

Attachments

·
find me on YouTube: catchNrelease
739 Posts
What kind of baits are you using? Also what depth are you fishing? Nice Fish!

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of baits are you using? Also what depth are you fishing? Nice Fish!
One eddy goes from 2 ft to 7 ft as it gets longer. The fish were further back and deeper yesterday around 7 ft. I caught another fish on a rocky steep drop off around 311 ft deep. The others came from a flat to a drop off where the flat is 3 ft deep and then starts to drop to 13 ft. They were right on the edge where it started to drop off. I was using a fat swing I o too 3* keitech with a 1/4 oz tungsten wicked weights underspin. Others came on a TRD. Fishing SLOW has been the ticket on the cold days. They didn’t want a square bill at all.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re having a “Dream Season”! Congrats on all your catches! It’s been impressive for stream and river fishing!
Thanks! I’ve been fishing these spots for the last 6 years. It’s awesome to see these fish getting bigger every year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a Smallie addict! I think I saw you at the Moraine ramp Saturday. I was launching my Tracker with a jet drive.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing wrong with being a Smallie addict! I think I saw you at the Moraine ramp Saturday. I was launching my Tracker with a jet drive.
Yep. That was me. First time on that stretch. It was a good stretch but I think it might be better in the summer since it’s shallow and fast mostly until east river road. Caught a bunch of dinks on the deep rip rap drop offs. Around 9-13 ft deep. Knocking off stretch by stretch a little at a time. I think I’m at around 58 miles floated on the great Miami now and 35 on the little Miami.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you typically paddle back upstream or get help with transport? Even with a paddle kayak I have not yet found the courage/plan to fish the GMR (in the Dayton area) given the many dams and fast flow.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you typically paddle back upstream or get help with transport? Even with a paddle kayak I have not yet found the courage/plan to fish the GMR (in the Dayton area) given the many dams and fast flow.
I float with a buddy on long trips. We meet at the take out and put kayaks into one truck and then drive to put in and float down to the truck we left at take out. When I’m fishing alone, I always put in and take out at the same spot. A few of my alone spots are pretty easy to get to and fish. Dragging the kayak up and down the hill is the pain part but worth it. One of my spots I paddle downstream and fish and then paddle back up to the truck. Sometimes I paddle upstream and then have to drag through riffles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts