Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking for a little advice on some hybrid fishing. I've got a jet boat and fish the lmr and whitewater river can pretty much get anywhere... Smallmouth bite has been off for me for some reason and looking to try and get into come hybrids. Any advice on what parts of the river would be good and/or bait? PM me if you don't think you want the world to know... would also be interested in taking someone out who can get us into some hybrids. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
Your best bet is to head up the tributaries until you start seeing one of two things, 1.) bait popping or 2.) shallow water. You will probably see both about the same time.

The bait will congregate in the tailouts of shallow, fast moving water, that's where the hybrids will be. Slender, shiny stick baits are where it's at if you're not using live bait. Fish both the same, casting them into the fast moving water & letting them wash out into deeper pool. Keep slack out of your line & the fish will do the rest.

If I were you, I would put in @ the GMR & head up river (up the WW), past the confluence with the Whitewater. The farther upstream you go from there, the colder the water will be. True striped bass from the Ohio river will be in there. It's a needle in the haystack scenario but I know for certain that's where the big girls from the big O spend their summers.

Good luck. :)

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
I'm not familiar with the dam in the lower GMR but you could also head up river to there & fish the deeper sections downstream that are not accessible from the banks... The dam certainly serves as a barrier @ lower levels which means the fish will hold near pockets of deep water downstream.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts