close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hybrids/stripers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by truck, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I never see many posts about these fish,where is the best place in this forum
    to make posts about them?Does anyone else fish for them before or after the run?How does most people fish for them,live bait,lures,trolling,planer boards?Just wondering,it is driving me crazy right now all I can think about is catching another one! Daryl

2. I would fish for them if I knew when and where. Where do you fish for them? I know people catch them down on the Ohio River but other than that I dont know??

3. For the past 4 yrs I have fished the East Fork lake.Rule of thumb is 2nd week of may is the big run .Last year I bought a larger boat & found out about how many where in the Big O now I am hooked on the river.I plan on spending as much time as I can till June chasing them.Daryl

4. catking

catking Banned

I believe pound for pound they are top dog in a fight. I have caught a few ,including a "10.25" monster. Did I fail to tell you the story :confused: Anyways, I would LOVE to hook into a striper of about 20 pounds or more. THE CATKING !!! :)

5. Ya know what CK I don't think I did hear that story?thats why I fish for them so much hook a 5# hybrid is like alot of other 10# fish you may catch .Daryl

6. I have a friend who regulary gets some hybrids out of the Ohio around the Racine pool I believe. He just throws jighead and twister into dead spots of currents. I think his biggest this spring is 5#. He fishes from daylight to about 9 am I think.

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Se Ohio is great for Hybrids, you can catch them on anything from artificials down to cut baits and chicken livers. If you want to catch stripers head further west on the Ohio, near Kentucky, and you can get into Hybrids and stripers there.

I think that Salt Fork has stripers in it. The state keeps its brood stock in there. You're only allowd to keep like 1 fish a day from there and it has to be a certain size limit. Alot of the other state lakes have Hybrids in them. Buckeye Comes to mind as well as Charles Mill, but I'm sure there is a lot more.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

catking,

10.25 and one, oh yeah!!

but thats all i know, got a link for "the rest...of the story"? id like to read it.

9. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Everytime I have caught one was when I was fishing for something else. So they were all a complete surprise. They are alot of fun to catch though. I think my biggest hybrid was only about 8 pounds. I have caught bigger true stripers. I am a cat man though, so I can't tell ya how to fish for them, just throw some bait out for cats and will get some striper here and there :D

10. Fishyguy, your thinking of Seneca. Salt Fork doesn't have stripers or hybrids, only white bass.

11. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

I wasnt talking about either, I was speaking in general.

12. Sorry, I meant Fishman. :eek:

13. catking

catking Banned

Catch me at an outing ;) No link for this double feature story-But that's a GREAT idea :D DA KING !!! "10.25" and " 1 " OH YEA !!!

14. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I caught this hybrid back in 2000, 17# 10 oz. State record lasted only a week was broke again one week after I caught it, was fishing the Anderson Ferry area of the Ohio river with live Shad, he picked it up and came right back at the boat and just kept on going, thought it was a gar he moved so fast. It was late November.........Doc

[​IMG]

15. catking

catking Banned

That is a freakin nice fish !!! If I recall Doc, you released this trophy? CATKING

16. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Catking,

Yes I did and one week after mine in the same area was an 18#er, could have been the same fish as he took down a 8inch live Shad, then somebody got one up at Aberdeen that went 18-6oz. I think, not sure right now what the Ohio record is..........Doc

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

It was 16.9 I think, held since 1985, then broke twice within 2 weeks. I think this one is the current record holder. Or maybe she was the 1st one to break it & then her's was broke? I'm sure it's still under 18# This one was 17# something. I've got the picture named Rosemary Shaver 17-68

Attached Files:

18. mrfishohio

19. mrfishohio

Stop while there's still hope, don't let them get under your skin !! :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's my best, it was 14# 2 oz. I thought it might be a new record, so I kept it to put it on a good scale......*LOL* 3 # short, but it was the largest I had ever seen. :eek:
    Here's a nice big fat one caught on a topwater bait ! :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Caught it right there in the water......:cool: :confused:

20. Nice fish Doc & Jim,thats what I keep hoping for!They only bother me bad for about 3 months a year-april through june.After that I get back into cats again.This time of year when I go to the river I am hoping for nice cats but in the back of my mind I think STRIPERS!!!Good luck fishing/catching guys. Oh I think we need a place to talk about different baits & lures for these fish we got for cats,bass,pan fish,carp & even ice fishing-and ya know how much of that we get every year. Daryl