Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Paddle N Fin Kayak Fishing Podcast
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m just happy they even stocked them at all. I hope they thrive. I caught a white bass last year on the GMR just north of Dayton and thought it was odd.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
could never understand releasing one inch fish, even blue gill could feast on them. hold all stocking fish till there at least three inchs.
They do that for several reasons. Among them...
-growing them to fingerling size takes food and food is money if available.
-once certain fish reach a certain size, they start cannibalizing each other in the crowded hatchery ponds.
-recruitment rates are acceptable so why spend the money to grow to fingerling size.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Call your local hatchery and ask them. I’m sure they will be more than happy to explain what they do. My family and I attended two hatchery open houses last year and it was very informative.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a buddy catch this one in Middletown earlier this spring. I believe it was early May. I thought it was a fluke, but he also said there was another gentleman there catching them as well.

Attachments

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are pretty rare up north here. You get to Hamilton and stuff, they are down there. I bet someone catches them at hamrilon dam and releases them above the dams.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
never understand releasing one inch fish
I can't remember were but I saw a chart on survival rates on fry and fingerlings.
It's not very good for either but fingerlings was much better. Lucky if 100 of those hybrids reach catchable size.

I bet someone catches them at hamrilon dam and releases them above
That's possible but they have become a popular pond fish and some may wash out in high water, also they are possibly just moving upstream from the lower Gmr, in high water I don't think dams are any deterrent at all.
Probably a little of everything ;)
One thing for sure those dams will become hotspots if they can establish a good population of fish. How great would that be !
Good luck and good fishing

·
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t think the water in Hamilton ever gets high enough where fish can go over them dams though. That Hamilton dam is really tall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts