Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Eagle Has Landed
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Property Land lot Lawn Grass Tree
So Hurricane Laura, possibly upgraded to a Category 4 Hurricane, is going to make landfall here in the next day in Texas and Louisiana. It is projected on a pretty much same path as Hurricane Ike did in 2008. There was over 1 billion dollars damage in Ohio, 70 + mph winds and some people without power for over a week. I just wanted to put this "out there" in hope that we may get possibly prepared for this. Take care.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Still have my hurricane generator from when I lived on the coast, which I needed for Ike here in Ohio.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,802 Posts
I dont think I was in Ohio for ike, but sandy had knocked power for 3 days at least. It was pretty chilly. Had to run the wood stove and put a bed mattress next to it. Ate Mexican at least 1 night, bar food another and cooked by candlelight another.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I remember that crazy wind with bright sunny skies .... it was weird. The woods behind the house buffered the blow for us, but it took a beating. Plenty of firewood for everyone.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ike must have it in September because I remember that I was dove hunting that day. The dove's were flying like crazy in the morning as the winds were building. You had to swing through the bird by 20' to drop them. By the time we wrapped up the standing corn was starting to lay over.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,095 Posts
Worked through Ike.
Think it was 4 days straight on the clock with very little sleep in the wrecker up righting a few overturned vehicles blocking roadways, clearing trees and various heavy debris blocking roadways etc...in Columbus and surrounding areas.
Lost power at the house but the generator kept things up and running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was living Southeast of Houston at the time, and we had been without power for a week because of that storm. Toward the end of the week, I had to travel to Cincy for business, and was really looking forward to a hotel with air conditioning and functional laundry services. Just as I was getting on the rental car shuttle in Cincy, my neighbor called to tell me that power was restored in our subdivision. I drove to my hotel, checked in, and 20 minutes later, the power went out there. It was about 24 hours before power was restored because all the linemen were in Texas helping out. I remember being really ticked that I finally got power at home, and had come all the way to Cincinnati, only to have no power again.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,858 Posts
The projected path has never been even close t the path Ike took for Ohio.....i hope it stays that way too
It did. It went south of us. We got the rain we did out of a big blob of hot, humid air! Glad we got it though. Watered the garden nicely, and might bring up more mushrooms! Got close to 2", and some folks around here got more!

Reactions: garhtr
1 - 17 of 17 Posts