Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the lake since spring and heading up this weekend to reload the freezer. Staying at the Plantation and going out of Huron and/or Vermillion to troll for eyes. Any help would be appreciated. Noticed the reports and successful outings have slowed in the last week but hoping to change that Friday. First thoughts are to head northwest of Huron Dumping grounds and drop lines but not yet committed to that plan. Not fishing in any tourneys so no worries...if you want to PM me with some info I will reciprocate with feedback from my days on the lake. Leave cell number(s) if that is more to your liking...I will also share mine. Just want to fill the box and enjoy my precious time on the water. I will be on channel 79 all 3 days and will get back to anyone who hails "Lumberjack" Thanks in advance for some help.
Brian

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
May want to check weather forecast for Friday before heading out, winds coming out of north 15-25, waves 4-6 ft. Saturday may be fishable?

·
Registered
927 Posts
My last iwindsurf check looked outright awful for Thursday evening through most of the day Friday with gusts possibly reaching 40 knots a few different times on Friday. Add that to a 30 degree temp drop and that cold front may spell trouble for us all but I'll give it a try anyway. If it is fishable Saturday, not going to hold my breath on that one after the blow on Friday but my plan to head out around the 31-34 lines N and start searching for the walleye after the big blow coming through and moving them around some again. I am planning to perch on Sunday morning near the 33/33 lines.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As predicted today blew...good day to nap! Tomorrow is another day...I guess I am the eternal optimist!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fished Sunday after the blow in 36 fow east of the Castle and got only 20. Tried 40 fow and in. Clarity was only a foot and a half. Did not see anyone really catching anything! That big blow on Friday messed things up.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just now got the chance to share what little info I have from last weekend. I fished Saturday inside in front of Sawmill Creek with no success. After the lake settled a bit I moved out to the 30/34 line and managed to get my ticket, 4 between 18-20" and two FO's, with the bigger at 10.6 lbs. :) After many set-up changes the most productive was 1.3-1.5 mph, 3oz inline and dbl willow purple with gold back, 100 ft back. I also ran Purple Plague RR800 100' back and got two of the smaller eyes with it. I was happy after the big blow to scratch out my limit. I caught all six in an area not much bigger than maybe two football fields. Very few marks on the screen but did show decent bait. Went back out there Sunday morning but no fish. Moved inside in front of the castle in 21 FOW with the same two rigs but 3oz at 50 back and RR at 70 back. First eye in the box at 12:30 and two more by 2:30, the biggest around 5 lbs. My bonus fish was a 3.5# smallie on the crank and a 5# smallie on the dbl willow--what a fun fight that was!!. I can't complain about that! I think I could have pulled another ticket but had to leave at 3pm. Can't wait to get back up and hit it again. Tight lines!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Got out tonight for 2 hours and struggled. Ended with 2 nice fish that were caught right at dark. 1 on pink custom ripstick and 1 on Helsinki shad hj14. Trolled around for 2 hours with meat and cranks from 1.5 to 2.8 in 20-36 fow with nothing. Switched to 6-8 fow at 1.3 and both hit within minutes of slowing down. Buddy had to be at work otherwise I would have stayed out longer and tried out the glow sticks on the boards.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The night bite sure sounds like fun. Since I've been on third shift all this summer I haven't made it out for the night bite yet. I took this weekend off so maybe I can get out one evening for a few hours.

·
Registered
693 Posts
last sat the water was pretty stained until the 31 line I never do good in front of sawmill if the water is stained, Jason did you perch fish the 33/33 area last sunday?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I trolled instead with my new rods and reels I picked up Sunday morning. The guys that were out there perch fishing caught about 20-1 whites vs yellows though when I talked to them.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,172 Posts
Planning on being out tomorrow morning. Gonna let the bass guy out of river before going. I will be on 79 if anyone interested, callsign fishhog

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
The weather looks like it may cut us a bit of a break tomorrow (fingers crossed) so I am planning on going out of Huron mainly after perch. Any tips on where to start would be appreciated. I will ask at the bait shop as well but I am wondering if anyone has had any recent success in the area. if no specific locations can anyone at least give me an idea how deep you have been finding them? We also may give a little shot at the trolling if we have time after wearing ourselves out on perching. Any suggestions there would be appreciated as well.

I will try to post results from our day as well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Radio said great perch just out of Vermilion river. At Huron river there were a dozen boats but action looked very slow as we trolled by. The Clevelander head boat was over by Sawmill in shallow and a guy at the ramp said he heard they were doing fairly well.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Radio said great perch just out of Vermilion river. At Huron river there were a dozen boats but action looked very slow as we trolled by. The Clevelander head boat was over by Sawmill in shallow and a guy at the ramp said he heard they were doing fairly well.

In retrospect maybe we should have gone out of Vermilion.:rolleyes: Being more familiar with Huron I opted to go there. We got started pretty early, on the water by 9:00 and it seemed like we were the only guys out there looking for perch. At least nobody else was within eyesight. We went off a tip to try north of Cranberry Creek in 20 feet of water. After several moves in that area went had maybe half a dozen perch to show for our 4 hours of effort. The wind and waves were a bit of a nuisance for my 17 footer so we I was reluctant to venture to far out. At one point we made a move north to 24 FOW but that was even less successful. We headed back in to shallower water where we were at least getting some attention from below. Finally we ended up finding some moderately active fish in 25 FOW nearly due north of the Huron River mouth. We ended up with only 31 fish. Plenty of junk fish and undersized ones though. If we had found a bite even as good as the one we finished with we could have come close to finishing off our limits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts