Ohio Game Fishing banner

Huron River Smallies

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  fisher person 
#1 ·
Anyone fish this river for smallies. What does the river look like between Monroeville and Milan? Is there is a lowhead dam in Monroeville? Just looking for some general information on the river and if it has good smallie habitat and would be worthwhile on a day I am up at the in-laws. I fished Tiffin this past weekend, but the water was dirty even though it wasn't very high(not good).

#2 ·
Great smallie holes all the way from Monreoville to the Turnpike (past Milan). Yes , there is a lowhead dam in Monroeville. I don't know what the water clarity is as I type but it should be fairly decent, we have not had much rain lateley. It all depends on how you like to fish. Sometimes I take a seine and net minnows, use a float and let the current take it to the fish. Most of the time I use artificials like twister tails, rooster tails, rebel craws (my favorite) and rapala husky jerks (HJ10) will be about all you need. I have not been out wading yet this year for smallies but I did fish the Milan area for steelhead earlier in the year and found some really nice holes. Have fun and good luck !

#5 ·
I went there earlier this year and did ok. I parked at the Lovers Lane bridge, and waded south of the bridge. All the way to about where the old dam used to be. That whole river is pretty good. Just target the normal smallmouth looking habitat and you should do pretty good. I have done ok on a spinnerbait too. But I would say the Rebal craw is one of my favorites too.

#6 ·
I'm working on making a trip out that way. A bunch of my family live in monroeville on Peru Center Rd and the surrounding areas. Every time I drive by the dam in Monroeville it appears that no one is fishing it. I think it is pretty shallow there but I haven't been in the water to verify.

#7 ·
CritterGitter - I fish the Sandusky in Tiffin and to the north pretty often (12:00-1:00 Mon-Fri:DWho needs lunch!) and have had the worst year with the smallies in at least 15 years so don't feel bad! Managed 1 today with my fly rod, but just haven't even been seeing them in the water at all???? Not sure whats up. Water is starting to clear up.....

My favorite hole on the Huron is close by where idontknow316 said off of Lovers Lane. If you keep going past the old dam you will eventually hit one deep and wide hole before it runs up to rapids again. I have caught some nice smallies in there. Bottom of the dam in Monroeville used to have few deeper holes, not fished there for some years. My bait choice... floating Rapala's and some black Super Do solid tubes. Good Luck

#9 ·
There was no one there when I went I had the whole place to my self. I don't know though I went early in the morning. I went with with a buddy who has his cc so I was not too worried.;) No really like I've said I usually go in the morning and there are no people there. If any one want to go sometime give me a holler. Its been kind of slow for me this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.