close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huron River Question

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Action, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Is the Huron River good bass fishing ? Thinking of trying it while I'm at the Hog Fest if I can find some access.

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I went once while visiting the in-laws, got skunked, but it had been pretty hot weather and the water was warm.

There was a public access point near 80/90 on the river, down river from Milan I believe. I think I put in on an old bridge abutment in Milan (I asked the people who lived there). The float trip in my kayak was pretty good, enough water to go and looked like decent smallmouth water. However, I still got skunked.

Also, there is a decent book on canoeing and kayaking Ohio waters (I posted it somewhere in the Southwest forum I think) that lists access points and some fishing info about Ohio rivers and the Huron River was one of them.

Hope that helps.

PM me if you cannot find the name/author of that book (in a previous post) on canoeing and kayaking ohio rivers and streams.

Terry

3. I have caught several largemouth in the spring when fishing the docks for crappie. Some of the marina bays have bassy looking water.

4. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

not to disturb the original post , but do the salmon still run in the river ? I remember going there when I was a young Kid with my dad all the time and getting a few .

5. I don't really care for the lower river all that much for bassin' from shore-out of a boat is a different thing.The public access site that was brought up is the Milan Wildlife Area.The coho dam is back in there,and a lot of guys fish that area.Again,I don't care much for the bassin' in that area,but they are there.For good smallmouth action in easily wadable water you want to search well south of Monroeville(on both branches)I've caught nice smallies as far south as the area around Willard Res.
    Phil,they(DNR)abandoned the salmon stocking program in the Huron River quite a few years ago,big mistake in my opinion,but then I'm just a dumb taxpayer! A few stray salmon and steelhead do still make it up the river in late fall most years.The dam in Monroeville is a good spot to fish them(they can't go any further).The salmon are probably Michigan fish,and I would guess that most of the steelies are Vermilion River fish.