Ohio Game Fishing banner

Huron - Pt. Retreat condos Wed

784 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Buckeye Ron 
#1 ·
Weather forecast had me skittish, so we didn't venture west of Point Retreat from the Huron River. Worked 28-42fow from the river west, marks and fish were very scattered. Drifted for awhile but my 2 dozen worms were only 1 dozen. We "quickly" fed the whities with no eyes. Started trolling and "picked" with spoons and cranks. Changing wind/weather had us quit early, ended w/ 5 fish, 2 guys. (at 2pm noaa radio was still calling for t'storms)
Had line break on an offshore board w/ a fish on. Pigsticker got a lesson on hand-lining that fireline cuts flesh real good. To his "credit", fish and board retrieved. BUT, are all bass boys leery to handle eyes? : ))
Also had a 4-5lb channel cat inhale a spoon trolling at over 2 mph. Good fight !

GR

#4 ·
OhYeah,
I went as far as Cedar Point, fished in 26 ftw to 40 ftw all along that line back to the Huron River, managed 2 fish for the whole day. I think we did everything but throw a casting net at them. Caught one on a Worm harness & the other on a red raspberry spoon and didn't know he was on. The worm harness was behind a dipsy.
Been in this area twice, caught two fish both times and got wet both times. I may leave this area for others now LOL
Ron

Attachments

#5 ·
It was great fishing with you again Oh Yeah. I was wondering if I was going to get any "points" for my re-enactment of the old man and the sea. We set fishing back about 10,000 years on that one my friend.

It was like Jaws, theres no way he can stay down with an inline board and a reef runner, or is there?

#6 ·
Toughest day I've had off Huron this year Ron.
A little stable weather and they'll school back up there, but I "can" understand your frustration. As I recall, we caught 1/2 of our fish within 2-3 miles of the lighthouse anticipating the storm that never arrived.

Pigsticker, I've already told that story and it is definitely good for laffs! ""Especially"" describing our pure poetry in motion of getting lines in, fighting the waves back to the board, and trying not to get the line tangled in the prop. The Lady of the Lake gave us that fish based on PURE EFFORT : )))

#7 ·
Hey guys, I did not get out this past weekend due to various reasons but I went out between storms last night. Put the lines in at 7:00pm (after the 1st storm blew through) and pulled them around 9:00pm due to a nasty looking storm off to the west. Ended up with 12 eyes fishing in 36.5 fow. Big dipsey 3 setting 70 ft. back. Small dipsey 0 setting 100 ft. back. Trolling speed was 2.2-2.3 mph. Best spoon was Circus Freak (I think that's the name).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.