Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip the week of 6/18 and I suspect there will be a good mayfly hatch in progress. Any prediction or advice from previous seasons on how the mayfly hatch affects the walleye bite around the bowl (Huron to Vermillion)? I'm guessing that the high density of '03 fish will keep things going, but I'm only guessing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the hatch is on the bite will likely be tough. I know last year things pretty much shut down up there during the hatch which was huge. There is just so much food for them floating around they won't be chasing much of anything.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,465 Posts
I completely dissagree, I have had stellar days using mayfly rigs right in the middle of the hatch, up high with inline weights, I took limits of fish last year running gold spinner rigs all during the hatch, there are lots of fish in the lake right now. you shouldn't have no problem catching fish.

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Last year the eyes put on the feedbag big time during the Mayfly hatch. In the years past I have not seen that much of a reduction in fish caught during the hatch. This is a great time to break out the weapons and take a break from trolling a do a little drifting ! Looking forward to it...

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Let us know when it's in full swing, Krusty. I have a few friends that enjoy trolling, but they would really like to cast for some eyes.

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Let us know when it's in full swing, Krusty. I have a few friends that enjoy trolling, but they would really like to cast for some eyes.
Sounds good, I owe you a trip ! The house will be covered with em' when they hatch so I will definitely let ya know.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I have never seen a drop in the bite during the Mayfly Hatch. All that is required is a change in tactics. Like K-Gone said, troll a different offering or do as I do and either cast or bottom bounce. I generally use a small harness tied using a copper or gold Smiley Blade with a red, green, orange bead group followed by a single size four hook. About a 1.5" piece of garden hackle for scent and work it slow.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,465 Posts
No the novice angler or experiences the branded "mayfly harnesses" with a single or double number 3's or a single number 4 colorado in gold and gold beads works great. I tied up my own harnesses and made gold gold and more gold ones to use during this time period. You can cast for them and kill em just as easy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Like they said-you just have to change your presentation. The standard gold mayfly rigs with a 2" piece of worm work great. One other thing that works well is a 1/8 oz dark green/orange roostertail spinner-no worm. I have caught many 'eyes (as well as smallmouth & of course white bass) on these over the years during the hatch. I cast 'em on a real light rod w/6 lb test.

Great fun!

Jim

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,465 Posts
Forgot to mention, I use a stinger hook on my rigs helps big time with the out of the package mayfly rigs

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
I would say gold is the color ... :D The only challenge is when the wind rows of mayfly husks bunch up.... they accumulate on your line as your trolling.... I have also been warned to watch for the husks clogging your water intakes.... I have done pretty well casting harnesses at this time as well

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses! I like the "garden hackle" reference--you learn something new every day. I'll be there the third week of June come hatch or high water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts