Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been tough fishing at Huron this year in comparison to last several years. I wonder whats up.
Great question. One thing I did notice is the fish we caught were puking up a lot of mayflies when we landed them, although we didn't see any flying around. Also the water seems a lot clearer this year compared to what I remember in the past.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
If you have found fishing to be tough in that area I would suggest trying a different spot in that part of the lake. I have been fishing over there for the last month and have lucked into fish... I’m not trying to imply anything other than I have found the area from Cedar Point to Ruggles to hold lots of fish.
I have been running Bandits and spoons but having more consistent results for quality fish on Bandits. I’ve been running the baits from 17ish to 23ish around 2.5... 28 if the shallower ones won’t go.

This week we were around Kellys (42’ish) with the same programs still producing. Seems like early, overcast or windy the fish tend to be active higher. When the sun comes out and the wind dies going a bit deeper worked. Out in deeper water 35 has been productive as well.
Been running unassisted 65 to 80, weighted 35/35 to 40/40 and 50/ 110 to 50/116 for deeper fish. Your colors may be different but for me lately chrome based purple with pink belly and IB Frozen have been hot.

We tried E. of the river and caught a ton of shorts... especially in close and when using spoons. Have not seen that number of shorts W. of the river or out further.

Yesterday the fish were stuffed with what looked like fat head minnows... and bugs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Plenty of good fish to be had. Just go out deeper. We are out about 12 plus miles ne of the dump. Its a run but good fishing. Best is trutrips with spoons 90 back and bandits clean 115 back with speeds 2.3 to 2.7mph. RUN YOUR BOARDS WIDE AWAY FROM YOUR BOAT! Water is very clear. Tagalong

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Limit. 7 miles ne of river. Harnesses with 2 oz 6ft ahead, back 67 ...74. 1.8mph. limited Monday and Wednesday. Will be out there tomorrow.
Nice work, a friend of mine is now doing well in the Lorain area on harnesses. What colors do they seem to be liking?

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Purple and pink or gold and orange have been our best producers on spoons but we are going to run one side harnesses next time out. A few friends east of us have been doing good on them, too, and they have had good luck with blues and chrome/silver. Thank you for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts