close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting On "Adjacent" Private Property

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c. j. stone, Dec 25, 2007.

1. I deer and turkey hunt on about 90-100 acres of private property and every year make sure that I obtain written permission. The owner does not live there(nor anyone else). There is a fence line with a huge pine woods that separates this property from the next one. I've hunted for several years in a large hardwoods ravine that opens up just before the ridge line and the fence/pines run up and down the hill to the west. Now the owner of the next property rents some log cabins to hunters. He has some small hardwood lots but for the most part has planted the available hunting area he has with the pines. Occasionally, there will be someone on stand at the fenceline watching the ravine I hunt! This year, I got flashlight-waved as I made my way to my stand and turns out this person is on the ridgeline but about twenty-five yards over the fence in the hardwoods on the wrong property.
    This happened once before a couple years ago and I moved over the ridge into another area more for safety sake than anything else. This time I decided he was not supposed to be there in the first place so I continued on up to my stand which is about 150 yds. from where the other hunter was, sat down, and decided I'd wait him out and maybe he'd leave. Comes daylight, and I see him walk around a big oak tree with the required hunter orange and he looks like a giant popsicle looming over the ravine. No words were exchanged but there he stayed til about 10:30.(Apparently, neither of us ever saw a deer.) Now, I'm certain that since he was watching the ravine and the ridgeline above me, had a deer come along, he would not have hesitated to shoot at it. Since I don't own the property, I figured he'd tell me to go pound salt had I confronted him.
    Just curious what other's have done, or would do in a similar situation.

2. I think the first thing I would do is talk to the owner of the neighboring property and see if he would explain to the hunting party where his property line is. It might be that the hunters are not clear on where the line is and don't realize that they are trespassing. If that doesn't get the matter straightened up you may want to ask the property owner of the land that you are hunting if you can put up some posted signs. Hope you find a peaceful solution to the problem.

3. I, along with my hunting partner, lease two 150 acre tracks of land. 4 years and counting. One is a river bottom thicket over grown with thorn apples. The other is a hardwood stand with an old strip mine wall that funnels deer. My partner has approx. 15 grand into equiptment strickly for food plotting. I put in at least a dozen days helping to put in food plots each summer. The trespassing is getting very old. The owner of the property has givin us all his blessing to do whatever we want to the property and what ever it takes to keep people out. We've posted, and cut trees to block perimeter trails.

Nothing works. This may sound harsh, but people are idiots! I don't want any of you to get defensive, but when hunters meet on common ground, we share a bond and trade storys and such. Put them in the field, and they think the signs and the logs arn't meant for them!! Block one trail, they start another. I've seen a guy get off his 4 wheeler and move logs. When asked if he see's the signs on each side of the blocked trail, he replys "..oh, its ok I've been hunting on the adjacent property for 6 years and I always go this way"!! Which happens to cut right in the middle of the propery we lease.

We have a long history in the area and know alot of people. We hear alot that goes on and its not fun competing with all the trespassers. We've had guys walk in the middle of our drive. We've caught guys hunting with shotguns on top of our locked stands during bow season. We've had straps stolen.

Its funny, cause when a local hunter hears about a food plot, they all want to sneak on and hunt it. DO YOUR OWN WORK!! People have stands set up just on the other side of the line (legal), but hunting our fields.

I know most of you will say to call the game warden on them, but these are guys who look you in the eye and act like they are your friend. If the warden is called, they will know its us and because they live right there, they can mess things up more if we piss them off. They don't care if they lose their license. they will keep on doing what they do cause thats what they've done for years.

4. I always talk to the person who is on the wrong side of the fence. Most of the time I run into one of three things. The person did not know he/she was even on the wrong side of the fence until they stood up. Walked up to a good looking spot in the dark and sat down. Second is they have permission from the land owner and the person is wonder what I am doing on the wrong side of fence. The other is someone that is just trespassing. Ask and they leave.

Now we do have problems with people cutting fences to drive their 4wheller to get a deer. I went around our farm last year and put up these signs that read: IF YOU SHOOT A DEAR AND IT MAKES IT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS TREE PLEASE DO NOT CUT THE FENCE TO GO GET IT. COME DOWN TO THE HOUSE AND WE WILL GO THROUGH THE GATE AND GO GET IT FOR YOU. Did it work well lets put it this way. Saturday I went around on the 4wheeler restringing barb wire. No matter what you do or how you act there will always be someone that just does not think. But keep in mind that for ever idiot out there hunting there are 1000s of hunters that do think. And most are just on the wrong side of the fence with out any malice intentions.

5. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I processed a deer for an old guy, his first buck, the game warden came and said he had to take the deer because it fell on the neighbors property that he didn't have written permission for. (the neighbor complained) I wouldn't let him have it (protecting the guys interest) and told him I need a court order and they went to court without the "evidence" Warden won naturally, came back and said I have to take the deer. I said "what about the processing fee?" He said, "I know some one who will write you a check for it." I said, "you and I both know that it is unlawful to sell deer or a part there of, I cant do that. I then told him to get a check from the state for reimbursement and I would give him the deer." He said: "I cant do that!" To shorten this, I finally made him sign a statement that he did not want to do, and pay me the "processing fee" to get the deer. Felt sorry for the old guy that he didn't get his buck to mount, I tried.

SO, I guess a complaint to the local warden about the guys with no permission would ruin there day/week. Maybe they would do the proper channel next time.

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I own and live on a nice piece of land in prime deer country.
    Twice I have run tresspassers off of my land.
    One was hunting and one was getting ready to cut firewood.
    I would love to take the nice approach as I do with most people,but it doesnt work with blatant tresspassers.
    I turned into a screaming,pissed off maniac when I found the tresspassers.
    I hate to be that way,but it is the downright obligation of any hunter to know where the property lines are.
    Any hunter that would disregard property lines doesnt deserve to be treated with respect anyway.
    I have a reciprocal agreement with all my neighbors that we can enter each others land to recover a deer.
    We just give each other a heads up and that works fine.
    But first and foremost,we respect each property line.
    Just my $.02

7. I just can't get over how people think. I was in a lock on stand on the edge of one of our food plots. The plot is in an open power line cut that runs in the middle of the property we lease. I watched a guy in camo walk out of the woods (that we lease), come up the power line cut, go to our food plot, instpected our plot, ate some weeds, then proceeded to walk under me and just before he went past another NO TRESPASSING sign on my tree, I simply said "excuse me". He jumped out of his skin. I asked him if he knew he was trespassing and he said..."not yet", I told him that where he came from was not his property and where he's going is still not his property. This guy lives just over the ridge. Everyone in the area knows the property is leased, but again, they don't think the signs are meant for them.

I've had 4 wheelers ride under me. I even had two kids ride right next to me as I was getting ready with my climber on the base of a tree. They just looked at me as they rode by me and a sign!

I've had guys shooting at anything walking around, I've had squiral hunters walking around our lease. One guy had a chair and all the leaves cleared out, we found the chair and took it. We later hear him return and get pissed cause some one took his chair. My buddy was up a tree a few yards away and said.."I took it" and asked him why it was here. He said he was tracking a deer he shot an hour before that on so and so's property. My buddy reminded him that the property he says he shot the deer was a half mile away.

When you do catch guys they lie thru their teeth. I think your right when you say that you have to act like a maniac. Cause i'm sick of being nice and getting walked on by the locals playing stupid!

8. I called the property owner and he said noone else has been given written permission to use his property and that he would make it a point to contact his pinetree farmer/cabin-renting neighbor and ask him to please "make his hunters aware of where they should and should not be" WELL BEFORE the opening day of deer season.
    Also, if they shoot a deer on the other property and it goes onto his land, he wants the farmer to call him for permission before they retrieve it-according to the law. We once had a guy years ago on this same property shoot the only buck he'd ever seen and it jumped a fence and died within sight on another adjacent property. Just as he was getting ready to cross to get the buck, someone yelled at him from some distance up the hill that if he took one more step, he'd be charged with tresspassing. He yelled back he was trying to get a deer he'd shot and the guy yells back-"Don't worry about it. WE'LL take care of it!" He came back to camp looking like someone who's best dog just got hit by a semi and after checking on it with ODR, he would have, in fact, been tresspassing. Just mention that cause I bet most of us would have tried to do the same thing as "(Un)Lucky Dick"!

9. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

Maybe its because I not a trophy hunter, but I just dont get it. We have stands set up and if someone is sitting in it or near it I move to another location. If I shot a deer I do everything in my power to find that deer, I have met many neighbors crossing their land looking for my deer. Never had any problems, as a matter of fact just this year the guy helped us trail it for a while. I know we spend a lot of time trying to get things set up the way we want it but I am just happy to have the opportunity and I cant imagine taking that opportunity from someone else. Im only 35 but i dont remember when I started hunting ever being told to stop at a property line to get permission to get my down deer. I guess if you only have a small piece of property to hunt than trespassers could really get under your skin, I just dont think its a big deal. I always feel like I have the same opportunity (deepending on the wind) from one side of the property to the other. How did this social sport become such a me vs you endevour? Invite a kid to fish or hunt with you, make a new friend offer them a chance in your woods. last time I went hunting it was with a new friend from OGF......

10. I own 56 acres and have had a few run-ins with guys over the years. I too find it very irritating because I feel that one of the advantages to paying for the place that I have is to have it for my own use. And when I see people traipsing through it really burns me. I have confronted them when I get the opportunity and as others have said it is always the same thing. They claim they didn't realize they were on my property.:rolleyes: When asked who they thought they were on some reply they were not really sure and then I say "Then why were you there in the first place?"

Trespassers can ruin fences, ruin hunts, cause safety issues when they walk in to areas that they are not familiar with and I am in there. If I believe they are simply tracking, retrieving a deer I have no problem with it however that never seems to be the case. Once a couple of years ago my boys were doing their own play hunting back on our property when along walks a couple of young adults right through the middle of our property carrying crossbows. They were just walking along talking and did not even notice my boys until they were nearly past. They stopped and said they were tracking a deer. My boys had seen a couple of deer run across the field a while before but neither looked injured. Nor were they tracking. They were simply walking across the open field aimlessly. They turned and walked back the way they came from and the boys came up to tell me. Needless to say the guys were gone when I made it back there and there was no sign of blood anywhere in the area where the deer had crossed. I have a real problem with guys walking into my place when I boys are back there alone.:mad: Just last year I had a guy who had recently moved in next door running a couple of ATV's back on our place. They found an opening in the fence and made it on to our property and through it to the next property. To do this they had to travel nearly a half a mile from their property since they crossed yet another neighbor's property to get to mine.:rolleyes: My boy didn't actually come in contact with them but he took some tree branches and placed them over the opening to try and block their path. We went back in the next day groundhog hunting in hopes that we would meet up with them again and sure enough they did the same thing again by moving the branches aside. I met them on their way back out of the place and had a talk with them. He tried to make it sound like no big deal that he was running across everyone's property but I believe that he got the idea after I was done talking to him. Some people just are totally inconsiderate and that is what makes folks like myself so bitter with the trespassing.

11. I sinply hate the fact that I've got "back in the day" stories. I'm not even 30 yet!!! But here it goes. My mom owns a little over 100 acres in a small township in Medina Co. My aunt and two causins own another couple 100 acres adjacent to the property my mom owns. The land has been in my family for almost 100 years. Any way onto the Good Ol days part. When I first started hunting, Around the age of 14 everyone around was farmers. The woods looked like they had never seen human feet. (they had but there were very little signs) If you wondered off your property no one cared. If you saw someone else you gave a friendly wave and stayed out of each others way never a question. Now with in the last few years farming property is being sold to developers. "City foke" or moving closer and closer. The woods are lines with ATV trails (on our property) Everyone is putting up No hunting signs (including us) It doesnt help. I've had a guy come up to me on our property and ask for my permision slip!!?? I said weres yours you're on our property. Now I know how easy it is to get confused in the woods. We laughed about it after words but my point is when people were more respectful of the adjacent property it was never an issue. Now you have to try to keep people out because people are just inconsiderate.