Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to make it out last weekend and I'm dying to get in my stand. The weather forecast says it will be raining all weekend is it a waste of time to sit . Thanks for any advice

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
As long as it's not a downpour, it won't change the deer. They live outside every day. Whether you want to sit in the rain or not is up to you.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
I agree some of my best hunting had been in light rain. The deer seem to come out earlier too.

Sent from my HTCONE using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've had some good days walking through standing corn fields row by row. Also good to hunt and stock through the woods, ssllooowly. I had got up on a 8pt just 10ft away, I did not see him, he was on the opposite side of a big tree and I was looking further out. The sound of me knocking the arrow and he was gone.
After a light rain they seem to come out to the fields.

·
Banned
809 Posts
In my experience rain is about as good as snow... It covers up your sound, depletes visability a little bit, and helps mask your scent. To me the only thing better is a fresh snow that fell as I was getting into my stand prior to my pre twilight nap... Just make sure to dress prepared for whatever weather is coming. There is nothing worse than coming down and heading in just to have it clear up or slowdown as you get to the vehicle or back to the house.

Sent from my MB855 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Washes away your blood trail...:(

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
This is the bottom line...you have to be in the woods to shoot a big buck...period...buy yourself a good rainsuit and get out there...I find hunting in the rain rather interesting and I've had success doing so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will not hunt in a heavy rain. I don't like taking a chance that I could lose the blood trail. It is amazing how far some deer can travel even with a perfect shot. On the other hand, a light rain can be some of the best hunting. A light rain on a cool day seems to get the big bucks moving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts