close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Deer in Fields

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Fishstix, Sep 9, 2008.

1. My buddy has 600 acres in Morgan County and we spent the last 2 months scouting deer from the fields. For the past month and a half, we have been watching a real nice 8 point and this past weekend we saw him and another nice 8 in the fields. The problem is, I don't know where they are entering the fields from. We drive throughout the property checking the fields and by the time we get to that end of the property, the deer are already in the fields.

We plan on sitting on the fields the night before opening day to pin point where they are entering the fields from. This question is for those of you who hunt fields (I don't have much experience hunting fields), if we can pin point where he is coming out of the woods, what are the chances he will use the trail or a trail in close proximity the next evening? I figure he will make it out there since we have seen him in the field the past 3 times we have gone down there.

I should also add, we have made a trip every other weekend since the beginning of July.

Thanks for your responses

2. I'd get out there before the night before hunting season. Sit in a few places up toward where you seen the deer. Observe from as far away as you can. You just have to put the time in. I've seen them use the same trail, or one very close to it almost every night......till bow season started:mad: ! There are some really nice deer in Morgan Co. Good luck!

3. From my experience they tend to stay on the side of the field the wind is blowing from. They can smell what they can't see in the woods, and see what they can't smell across the field. I would say the deer know all 4 sides of a field they use, and they will know if you walk across it. Try to stay on or in the tree line when going to your spot. You will see the deer probably have a trail around the field about 15yds in the woodline they use to scent check and travel. Most entry seems to be near corners or lower elevatons.
    ________
    CHEVROLET AVALANCHE

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. I would second the notion to take a closer look earlier than the night before. If you have a pretty good idea where they are entering then move in a bit closer and on the downwind side and try to get an idea where they are coming from, not just the immediate area outside of the field but from which direction are they entering that transition area. I would try to pinpoint a good entry trail to that transition area perhaps 20-30 into the woods. They usually will hang out in that area for a while before you see them enter the field. This would give you the best place to greet them.

Good luck.

5. Snook

Snook Eat-Fish-Hunt

Be careful walking to your stand on opening day. If the wind is not right DON'T hunt it! These deer are usually conditioned at this time of year and feel comfortable to feed while there is "light" because they have not encountered or smelled danger. You usually have one(maybe two) cracks at him before he senses your presence which will make him nocturnal. My experience is that they will feed in that same area where you see him at that general time. So instead of trying to hunt the trail he may be comming to the field try hunting the part of the field that he is feeding most of the time. Again wind permitting! If the wind is wrong hunt somewhere else that day. Leave the field alone or just observe from a distance. Only hunt this field in the evening.

Another tip is to get to your stand early in the evening before the deer start to move. I don't walk the field edge or treeline because this is where your deer will enter the field. Instead I will walk more towards the center of the field and then straight to my tree on a 90 degree angle. My boot soles will be soaked with coon or fox urine. The deer don't seem to be as alarmed in the middle of the field if they pick up this scent because they can see that there is no presence of danger. Plus by this time more and more deer are out in the field feeding which seems to relax the other deer. If a deer busts you at the field edge it screws with all the others wanting to come to that field.

Good luck and I hope you get him!

6. Great advise Snook! I have been witness to many hunters who have a big bucks patterns nailed down to every last detail and blow it on opening day! The key to all this is to have the PERFECT conditions when YOU make your move. Have a quiet way to get to your stand and only hunt that stand when you will not ge your scent blown to the deer. There are times that deer will coem from the wrong direction or other things that might happen but do everything you can to put the odds in your favor. This may mean not hunting a field until the second week of the season or even later but patience is a virtue young grasshopper.

Deer are creatures of habit and will not change routines until there is a need weather it is food sources change or pressure makes them into creatures of the night.

7. What is in the field? We have had succes hunting fields, from the edge, and in. I got my buck last year from a field with a blind in it, using a decoy.. Here is a picture of my blind and decoy.
    [​IMG]

And this is the little one i took out of it. :) Watched him for three days using the field, and put the blind between the middle that he used, and the edge to the right of blind. Which is where I got him. He 5 yards off the edge of the field when I shot him.
    [​IMG]

8. I once put my blind up in a field that held deer every night. I didn't hunt it for a week. I used a climber in the trees just off the field. What I witnessed is the deer would start to come out of the woods and into the field untill they saw my blind....SNORT< SNORT...then ran for the hills.

The only way I hunted out of my blind was to leave it up all season so the deer would get used to it. Your decoy must have been the clincher. Good for you, but a blind is not for me after watching the deer run off when they saw it.

I since have spent a lot of time making ground blinds out of natural things, like deadfalls and treetops. Its a great way of hunting when the wind is right and the late season is upon us and the clothes are all bulked up to stay warm. My buddy had his treetop eaten on by a doe. He could have stuck it with an arrow by hand!