close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting Accident

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Sad story out of Wisconsin. You can never be too careful in the woods. It does look like justice will be served though.
    http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5039740/detail.html

Teen With Camcorder Captures His Own Killing On Tape
    Police: Suspect Promised To Send Help That Never Came

POSTED: 7:23 am EDT September 30, 2005

LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Seth Hammes was filming in the woods when his camcorder recorded the crack of gunshots, the 17-year-old's screams and the voice of the alleged shooter, promising help that never came.

Authorities say they might never have learned what happened to Hammes, who later died in the woods.

"But right next to him was the videotape," Monroe County Sheriff Pete Quirin said Thursday. "That's when we knew we had a homicide on our hands."

After viewing and listening to the tape, police tracked down 24-year-old Russell Schroeder, who now faces charges of reckless homicide and reckless injury. Schroeder was being held on $250,000 bond. If convicted, he faces up to 85 years in prison.

Family members said Hammes and two of his friends had gone bow-hunting Saturday morning in the woods near Little Falls, about 35 miles northeast of La Crosse.

Hammes put down his bow and picked up his camcorder that afternoon.

According to the criminal complaint, he was shot in the pelvis and then the heart. His camcorder fell to the ground but caught the sound of the shots and his own screams.

The tape shows a person Quirin identified as Schroeder in a nearby field, telling Hammes he would call for help on his cell phone. He then said he couldn't find a signal but promised to go get help.

Instead, authorities say, Schroeder went to a birthday party, home to play video games and then to his job as a custodian at the Army's Fort McCoy near Sparta.

Schroeder didn't call anyone because he was scared he would get in trouble, the complaint said. He told police he thought he was shooting at a squirrel until he heard Hammes scream.

After family and friends reported Hammes missing, police used bloodhounds to find his body in the woods that night.

Investigators initially believed he had just died in the woods - there was no blood to indicate foul play, and he had been shot with a .22-caliber rifle, which left only small wounds, Quirin said. Then authorities saw the camcorder tape.

Hammes' family gathered at his grandparents' home in La Crosse after Hammes' funeral on Thursday.

Ed Hammes said his nephew loved to tinker with the family's lawn mowers and research pyrotechnics. He hung out with the La Crosse Skyrockers fireworks club, which produces the city's New Year's Eve fireworks.

"He was shy for the most part, but he'd go out of his way to help you," Ed Hammes said.

2. Man, what the hell is wrong with people. I don't even know what to say about that. Thanks for the post.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

another senseless tragedy.and the charges filed,are downright ridiculous.
    should be murder.i can force myself to believe some people are careless and wreckless eneough to accidentally shoot someone while hunting,but i have a hard time buying the fact that the guy was "mistaken" for a squirrel,unless they have some huge 2 legged squirrels up there.
    2 shots?then leaving the guy to die?no way that was anything other than intentional homicide.
    sounds to me like just another whacko getting his jollies,and playing stupid when he got nailed.
    if they stick with the current charges,he at least should get no less than the max 85 years without parole. :mad:

4. Well said Misfit - this guy deserves the max!

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Jeez, that is sick and sad.

6. I think I've figured out that hunting in Wisconsin is not for me. First the guy that shot and killed a bunch of deer hunters last year and now this. I don't consider myself the sharpest arrow in the woods but how do you shoot a person twice and say you thought it was a squirrel? My grandfather hammered "IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET" into my head as the first rule of hunting when I was six using an air rifle. Unreal!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

This is very sad. A life over..... just like that.

8. Mistaking another hunter for a squirrel is not what one could call a legit accident. Legit accidents are very rare and leads to a situation. Let's say one hunter accidently shoots another. Obviously, help should be called no matter what happened. However, some slimeballs would be afraid of being sued, so they leave the wounded hunter in the woods to die instead of assisting. There should be a 'Good Samaritan' type law in the event of a legit accident that would protect the shooter. A 'legit accident' would be determined by a, (hopefully), sensible jury.

9. The bio on that 24 yr old shooter reminded me of some of the mental midgets who lived in my neighborhood growing up. They'd walk down the RR tracks with their .22's shooting at anything that so much as shook a leaf. You can call it murder with intent if you want but I'm not sure I'd agree without more info. A very tragic situation to be sure. He needs to be removed from society for as long as the law allows.

10. murder pure an simple...guarantee you that sob shot him in the heart after accidentally shooting him in th hip and getting scared about getting in "trouble".

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i think you might be right,pete.
    just what i was thinking when i posted the above.possiblily not,but probably so.maybe the video they have will lead them to the truth.

12. I am tired of our society coming up with excuses for people! We come up with variations of charges with good intent, but it fails us all in the end :( There is simply no way you can convince me that this isn't murder!

I honestly don't care if the shooter knew he was shooting a person or not; the fact remains he shot the victim (twice!) and killed him, didn't call for help & didn't tell anybody. Does it matter weather he knew it was a person, or was just recklessly firing on any movement he saw?

Not to me - We all have to live with the consequences of our actions and this guy shot and killed an innocent person.

Certainly the facts need to be reviewed - I don't mean to imply there is no such thing as an accident, but this simply "smells funny" to me. I mean, if the shooter was 400 yards away and never knew he had shot a person - ok, it's an accident.

In this case I would charge this guy with murder even if he WASN'T the shooter - he still made no attempt to help and wasn't going to tell anybody about it. That just goes against everything human!

13. I didn't think it was possible to take that many different positions on one post. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015