close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunt From a Yak

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by Mushijobah, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Has anyone ever tried hunting from their kayak? I know doing it from a canoe is common...but the yak seems like a more difficult proposition. I'm considering it for waterfowl.

2. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Sounds like a good way to dunk a perfectly good shotgun into a river...

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I have a canoe and I have done some bow hunts out of it. I use it for a 10-20 minute paddle into a place that would take me about 30-40 minutes to walk into. It works great. There is something surreal about being on a glass smooth river or lake in the pre-dawn darkness quietly paddling to your ambush spot. It's very cool!

I don't hunt waterfowl, so I can't offer much help in that regard.

4. If I could afford one big enough, I would have one to float smaller rivers and creeks for ducks. Much stealthier than a canoe.

If I had cash to burn, I would get one of these:

http://pokeboat.com/PokeHunting.htm

It would not hurt if was about 100 pound lighter, too!

5. Guilty
    I do it alot. Mostly use the yak to get to and from the spot, pack in 8 decoys, a spinner, and strap the gun on the deck. AWESOME deal for a solo guy at something like Big Island or Kildeer.
    They're super easy to hide once you arrive with one of those 6X12 sheets of camo.
    Shooting out of one isn't unreasonable, just your shot window is kind of limited. You have to be pretty discliplined not to swing into a "tippy" position.