close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Humminbird Smartcast

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Catfisher, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of getting one of these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these, also any good or bad things anyone has to say about them.
    I'm a bank fisherman so whats everyone's opinion on this , is it worth it, does it do as it advertises or is it not worth the money ?

2. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Magis I clicked on your link but it said no results found. Was it posted correctly?

3. I got one a few months ago. I had to send it back because it quit working after 2 days. I got another one and it has been fine. I use it in the river i fish. I mainly use it to find depth.

4. Robocat

Robocat Rob

I purchased one last summer and have used it several times......I primarily fish for catfish and used it to determine water depths in order to suspend my bait offerings off the bottom....It seems to work pretty good. The only negative things that I would say about it is the limited range and I also noticed that when you cast the sensor out into the water that you have to be careful not to reel it in too fast, otherwise, it won't give you a accurate display of the bottom.

5. I'm in my second season using the bigger model and there's two areas it has really paid off for me.
    First of all, I fish about 80% of the time shoreline fishing and using the unit to explore areas for holes and channels(old) that I never knew was present. It allowed me to find many new areas around the Bay and Lake area where no one knew existed. So for fishing it has been a good investment in that area.
    Also in some of the rivers it has allowed me to find deeper (short) areas that held fish. I then use a ditigal camera to remember the spot.

Where it really paid off this last fall was in locating Walleyes near the shore and also was good enough to mark shad in numbers which the walleyes follow the outlining areas of shad. The nice part was, areas were found right away and I didn't have to fish the over populated fishing areas and still catch fish.
    The bigger model for me was easy to read at night and yes, you have to allow the unit enough time to record the bottom before moving it, but I found it to be a big aide in the type of fishing and finding new areas never fished before.

Hope it helps,
    JImG

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

The bigger model is what i use too....the limited range(100') from the factory is stupid...i "upgraded" mine and it will work over 3 x' the factory range now.

Very useful tool if you know how to apply what you find(see) with it.

Scott

If interested in improving the range on yours click here:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2856&v=1&sp=

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I was affraid to look into one, thinking it would get washed away in the rivers, since that what i wish 95 % of time.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Mellon, i fish rivers even more...only fishing lakes when the rivers are messed up from heavy rains.
    I use 14 lb. line and have never had an issue with loosing a transmitter......but if you do they are only $20 to replace.
    If you get a 2nd transmitter 2 guys can run off of one unit.

Scott

9. got one a month ago and man what a difference they make. finding school of crappies is great too.shows depth where you cant put a boat in and great for river and shoreline fishing.

10. Love it. My only advise would be to use it in a familiar spot and learn to read it properly. It's really simple if you start out that way.

11. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

i bought the new one that has time date water temp and back light.it mounts to your rod. i bought the one that mounts to your rod instead of your wrist due to it has a 150' range from sensor to screen. wrist mount only has 75' range.and most have 100' range.i measured out 150' of line on my reel and put some tape on that mark then tested its range and it gets great signal.plus the thing is so light you dont even know its on your rod. so far i like it. i wade fish and canoe or kayak alot so it will be great for that.