close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Humm -- About That time of Year

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Pike, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Time to get the feeders out.
    [​IMG]
    Hummingbird Fun Facts
    They are the smallest birds in the world – the smallest of which is the bumblebee hummingbird
    They can fly as fast as 60 miles per hour
    They can beat their wings from 60 to 200 times per second!
    It’s a misconception that hummingbirds use their long bills as a straw to suck nectar. In reality, they lap nectar and sugar solutions with their tongues.
    Because they fly so much, they have very weak feet that are just strong enough for perching.
    Their hearts beat 600 times per minute, compared to 72 times per minute for humans.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/news/mar05/0325humbirdcolumn.htm

2. A Route of Evanescence

A Route of Evanescence
    With a revolving Wheel--
    A Resonance of Emerald--
    A Rush of Cochineal--
    And every Blossom on the Bush
    Adjusts its tumbled Head--
    The mail from Tunis, probably,
    An easy Morning's Ride--

-- Emily Dickinson

3. They are really a treat to have around. We always have a couple of feeders out for them. On one occasion we had 8 birds fighting over one feeder at once. That was neat to see. I can't remember what the magic date is that they say they return to Ohio by but I think it is a while away. My wife always keeps up on the timing of them and gets the feeders going.

4. if you want to make buffalo wings, it takes a whole lot of them.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

cool.... cant wait for the little guys to buzz around again.

last year i got a real good close up look at one.... i had some impatiens out around the garden and was just being still looking around and one came to the flower and just sat around on my chicken wire fence and hung out for a while.....he was within a few feet of me so i just tried to be real still.... they are cool birds.

6. hardwaterfan

i also had an oriole come to my hummingbird feeder. his weight would cause the sugar water to come out and he drank up....i put out an oriole feeder after that but he only came to the hummingbird feeder a few more times.

i already said that i guess in this thread from the past:

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15591

if you havent seen it yet (its from last summer) check it out...

i highly recommend one of those thistle feeders if youre at all interested in birds....the different kinds of finches are really colorful and the chickadees that come around are cool too....

ive been trying to keep it full all winter long and it also gives the cat something to look at.

theres one kind of bird i didnt get any pics of, the house (and a few other) finches, they have some real nice red colorations....gotta get them this year.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Never refill the feeder with a red hat on...just a little lesson i learned wanted to pass it on....Damn things will attack..LOL

8. We have a regular bird feeder for seed eaters which we heep full all year.
    This year we also plan to put out a couple hummingbird feeders. Those little buggers are really territorial so we will have one feeder on the West side of the house and another on the South side. Gonna keep the feeders fairly close to the windows so we can watch them. Couple years ago they nested near us and the young were like king sized bumble bees. Would be great to have them around again.

9. I have found more then a few laying dead at the base of my feeder down in southern Ohio... Watching them fight is unreal and seeing oen fall from the air after its doom is kind of sad in a way... I'd spend a whole afternoon watching them relaxing drinking my favorite beverage..
    I'd hang a feeder for the 4 week spring gobbler season and they always returned every year in that time frame...

10. hardwaterfan

anyone seen any yet? heres what my feeder looked like this past weekend, might have had some but i havent seen them.

the goldfinches have no problem getting to the seed....they know where to find the good stuff.

Attached Files:

11. Not seen any yet... Nice pic man!!

12. hardwaterfan

thanks mate, thats something isnt it? :)