close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hull repair & new bunks & roller

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

took off from my weekly erie trip to repair the crack in the gel coat on the hull. the work was much easier to do than i thought it would be. just sand it smooth with some 180 grit, clean out the crack with a scribe, mix and apply filler. wait 15 minutes till it hardeds, sand smooth. a few coats of primer(sand between coats) and a few coats of enamel. looks as good as new. real easy:p

hopefully..... to keep it from happening again, 1st i am going to dunk the trailer deeper at the ramp. i also added a roller and 2 more bunks..yes, it's overkill, but...i got the brackets, u-bolts and roller at gander mtn. for about $100.00 i got the indoor/outdoor carpet and the pressure treated 6x10's at home depot for about $50.00 we'll say i got $150.00 into it.

between sanding, painting, running to and back to :eek: different stores, building the bunks it took ALL day. here are some photos of MY solution. hopefully this and dunking the trailer deeper will prevent any more cracks.

1st photo is the crack
    2nd photo is the repaired crack
    3rd photo is the extra roller and bunks

if you have any hull problems maybe something here can help you. don't be afraid to do it yourself. it was pretty easy to do. it just took ALL day:p

Attached Files:

2. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Could not do it better myself.hope it is OK.now WE got to test it out in conneaut getting perch or walleyes and steelhead.let me know when.

3. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I didn't notice in your first thread, but if you didn't move the original bunks, they sure were spread far apart. The thickest part of the hull is at the keel, and more support down there is very good. If you can get a keel roller on the end of the trailer it will make hand winching a lot easier. Nice job on the gel coat!

Workdog

4. ezbite

thanks guys, nope didn't move em. i always thought they were too far apart, the guy i got it from, bought in new and said thats how it came from the factory. it always bothered me because my small aluminum has much more support and i thought a heaver boat should be supported more than a lighter one.. i slept much better last night knowing the support of the hull has been beefed up:D

5. ezbite

jump to the top for stcroixjoe

6. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe (stcroixjoe)