close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huge Smallmouth!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Go my trip planned in August...

Can't wait :)

2. Are you going to the BWCA? Which entry? We are entering at Moose lake and going into Knife and base camping.

3. WOW!! That's a smallmouth to get your heart racing! Maybe I'll run into one this year on the Hocking! :D :D

4. I think he would probably eat any smallie in the Hocking! :eek: But it sure will be fun looking for one like that in Ohio streams this summer.

5. i remeber back in 1996 my best friens abd i went there for a week long canoe trip and we coaought som amny of them huge small mouth and the pike were a nusiuance.. not a bad problem.. we hade fun we went aroun knife lake around like 52 mi i beleive we portaaged.. it was alot of fun..

6. Actually going into Quetico on the north side by Atikokan. Going in at Beaverhouse. My largest smallie up there is around 4.5 lbs..

Finally figured out the larger smallies are out in the deeper water. Caught decent number of 3+ lb smallies using a heddon torpedo around underwater reefs..

When you going to BWCA?

7. Going in on June 6 and camping for 6 nights. Plan on base camping on Knife since we were there a few years ago and know a few good spots. I caught one that was about 4.5 pounder last time. Kekekabic is just a few portages away and has awsome lake trout fishing. This is our 3rd trip so after this one we might try the Q next time. How many times have you been up there?

8. We're going mid August for 10 days. We usually do a half circle through the park and come out at Nym. I never had much luck with the lake trout, caught a few here and there but thats it.

Are you taking a portable fish finder?

9. WOW, 10 days would be GREAT!
    Not taking a fish finder. Thought about renting one when we get up there but not sure if its worth 100 bucks or not. I have a map of Knife lake that shows all the depths so I'm hoping to find some of the reefs on the map. There are a few that come up to 16 or 18 feet from 60 feet that we are going to work for walleyes and smallies. How many trips have you made up there?

10. For a little over 100 you could buy one .. Besides finding the reefs, best use i've found for them is trolling, and being able to follow the contour of the dropoffs. I bought one couple years ago but i fish out of a canoe so i get a lot of use out of it.

I've been on about 8 trips to Quetico. My Dad started taking my brother and I when i was in high school.. He used to go when he was a kid to BWCA. My dad started us at Q, said it was not as many people as you find in the BWCA.

Either way its a great time up there!

11. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I went to the BWCA last Sept. I was not that impressed with the areas we fished. We were at both Crab lake and Cummins lake. We caught alot of fish, 75-100 a day between the two of us, but could never catch any bigger fish. We might have 5 fish that went one pound or 12" or better a day. We had a depth finder and worked points, humps, you name it, but could never find bigger fish consistently. I might have to get it one more shot though at a different location. I did like canoeing in there though.

12. I'm trying to break myself in with the BWCA and hopefully make a trip to the Q in the next few years.
    What kind of fish finder do you have? I fish a lot from a canoe around home also so it might be a good investment if I could get one for around 100 bucks.
    Do you mostly fish for smallmouth?

13. Bassnpro1

I have a hummingbird portable fish finder and it worked great off of the canoe. Everytime it would mark fish we would catch them, they were just small. If it wasn't marking fish, we weren't catching them. You can get one for $100-150, and they are worth every penny. Mine has gone to Canada and it has helped us catch so many fish that we never would have even in the BWCA, b/c you can locate alot of humps, or schools of fish while canoeing that other people never find. It is fun to watch while canoeing in and if you find a school of fish, just stop and see what kind they are and how big, and you can bookmark the spots in your head and go back to them.

14. I have a hummingbird portable also dx200 i think. Worth every penny. We fish mostly smallmouth and get the occasional pike as a bonus. Trolling we could get some walleye and we'll fish for lake trout every once in a while.
    I use mine at alum creek all the time. Use mainly to locate underwater structure. The fish i do find on it i never seem to be able to catch lol

We never had caught numbers like that bassnpro, but did find the larger smallies on the submerged reefs with big drop offs to deep water. Could depend a lot on the time of year.

15. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great smallmouth. I hope to do that again this year in Canada. leaving May 10th. for a few weeks. Last year we caught a bunch that were 5 - 6 lbs. The picture I posted in the Gallery is one that was 6.8 lbs. Best year we ever had. Now to beat that one. That was when I also caught the one in my pictures 7.70 largemouth. Can't wait to get back there.

16. catking

catking Banned

Great smallei first of all. I fish the UP on Michigan, and once you are in that area I fish, you cannot tell the diffrence between it and Minnesota. We fish for 7-9 days and never see another person. It's great :) Lots of virgin ponds also ;) CATKING

17. catking

catking Banned

It's the Boundry Waters Canoe Area of Northeast Minnesota/Canada. CATKING

18. Bassnpro1

We threw everything in our tackle box at the smallies up there, just couldn't get any bigger fish. We only had two smallies over two pounds the entire week, and they were caught on humps that we found. We even had jigs and nightcrawlers to try. Never found a single walleye. We caught most of our fish on tubes fished deep around points and dropoffs. We could catch some on the banks on rouges and topwater, but not as many as with tubes deep and the size was the same. Only caught 3 pike and we even fished for them for about a day. I must have not been on the right lakes. Any of you guys care to PM me the lakes that you have been on and what fish you caught there. I am interested in a walleye/smallmouth combo trip, either in the same lake or basecamping in two different areas for each. Thanks