close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Huge Saugeye

Discussion in 'Walleye & Saugeye Discussions' started by SaugeyeSlammer, Nov 15, 2004.

1. catking

catking Banned

World record !!! What a nice fish.............Thanks for the thread ;) .C.K.

2. I read a while ago that that saugeye is not the world record. The explanation was that Montana only has a joint category for walleye and saugeye. since the fish is a record "walleye", it can't have the record for saugeye. They do not allow 1 fish to hold records in 2 different categories.

Nice fish regardless of what category it is in.

Joel

3. :D WOOOOOOW! D :) Do they grow that big in ohio!

4. They could but too many people kill the 6-10lbers....note what they said as to estimated age...people never want to take my word for the age of fish but this is direct from the "experts". It is much easier to grow a 15lb saugeye from a 14lb saugeye than it is from a 3" fry. But I digress...........

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

With that George Hamilton neck warmer, I thought it was Mr. Roper from 3's company :D

What a pig though...wow.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am with ya there Master Angler! I don't see too many bigger saugeyes go back in. I think in general most people keep the bigger fish. I don't know this for sure but just a hunch from what I have experienced! :eek:

7. Seems to me that people think that since Saugeyes are stocked in the lakes, that they can fish them and keep them, and its OK to do that since they breed more and put in pretty much each year. But then what will happen is the price on fishing licenses and boat taxes etc. will go up, because Saugeyes cost money to breed! I dunno. Just my view on it.

8. Amen guys. Real big eyes don`t taste as good anyways. Unless you`re getting it mounted, take a couple of pics and put the big females back. I keep a digital scale on board and will take a picture of them hanging on it. (I mean, when that happens, I will) ;)

9. sportsman05

sportsman05 avid sportsman

wow,now thats a great fish,holy cow

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

[​IMG]

11. mrfishohio

Interesting about the record, if it's a Montana thing, for both fish class, then maybe it's classified as a walleye state record. I don't see how it could not be the world (saugeye) record since they tested the liver. Since it's a confirmed saugeye.

12. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Call me a skeptic, but I find it hard to believe they pulled a live saugeye with a 21" girth through a 8 inch hole in the ice. Also, I have fished for saugeye through the ice quite a lot and they aren't real active like a walleye. They feed on a VERY limited basis. I will also say, I have my doubts about the University study to confirm it as a saugeye. Maybe it is and if so, then great for him! I would find it much easier to believe that it is indeed a 16 to 19 year old walleye.

CG

13. yeah crittergetter, you are a skeptic, i do quite a bit of ice fishing and i have seen a 16lb walleye come through an 8 in hole at the bay of quinte without a problem...
    not to mention some fairly big muskies in canada ( over 30lb) out of scugog and once the head is coming up the pipe that fish will make it through the hole..

14. Some grade school math (everyone remembers PI right?) tells me that the circumference of an 8 inch diameter circle is 25.12 inches. Doesn't sound like a problem, for a fish with a girth of 21 inches. And, diameter of a fish with a 21 inch girth is.....? Yep, 6.7 inches. The fish got stuck? What's missing here?

15. Your grade school teachers will be so proud to know that you put the circumference formula to use.:p You are right though. The math suggests that the fish should make it through an 8" hole fairly easily. I am not an ice fisherman so I don't have any first hand experience to draw from to get an idea how easily one would be able to get the fish to cooperate. Nevertheless, it certainly does not seem that the head would stick in the hole.:rolleyes:

16. Your working a formula for a circle, fish tend to be more oval. Stand on a 6.7 " can with both ends cut off and it wouldn't take much compression to pass 8" in it's longest diameter, right?

17. mrfishohio

Pi ??? Can I get some ice cream on that pie ??

18. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Wonderful! So, a fish that big can fit through a hole that size. Hip Hip Hooray! I still don't think it's a saugeye, university gene testing or not.

If all the scientists in the world had a symposium and spent weeks determining the exact genetic code for that fish and came out with the announcement that it is indeed a saugeye, then I would still respond that I don't think it's a saugeye.

It's not a jealousy thing, because I do geniunely wish other anglers success in their quest for big fish, but I just don't want to accept it as to me it doesnt look like a saugeye.

Kudos to him for catching a whopper of a walleye!

:)

CG

19. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The saugeye that I fish for each winter through the ice are very aggressive and feed actively, just as the walleye do, maybe even better.

The winter saugeye ice fishing is about the only fishery worth pursuing in many, many Ohio lakes each winter.