Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, the biggest walleye of the day had one huge bulging eyeball. Anything I should know about it that would be of any concern? I should’ve taken a picture of it, but we threw it back before it came to me. The rest of the day went well:

Fished out of Edgewater. Trolled Renosky deep divers 75' off the big boards and had our limit of 30 walleyes from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. Ran a mix of Mirror Image, Fire-Glos , and Joe Pirates, they all pulled in fish. Had a dry spell from about 11:30 am to about 1:00 pm, then we got our last ticket by 1:30 pm. 2,0 to 2,5 mph GPS speed

Tight Lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Perch Addict
892 Posts
The Eyeball? He was just giving you the EVIL EYE.................;) :p

·
multi species angler
4,365 Posts
Maybe it tried to eat one of those big husky jerks and got a treble in the eye like they sometimes do. That might have caused the damage. That is the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Ever see the movie "ORCA"? Be afraid, be very afraid! She is going to eat your boat the next trip out!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't know what it is but I have seen a few over the years.

Shark

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Probably had any infection in its eye. It could have been damaged during the spawn or like has been said it could have been damaged by a thousand other things. I have also seen this before and caught one the same way a week ago up by the islands. Maybe it was allergic to the bait that was in its mouth? Ha Ha.

G

·
I know on muskies when a fish has bulging eyes its form deep water. The fish was in deep water and came up quick to take the bait, with the intent to return to the deep water. There internal pressure has not regulated yet. Which case bulging eyes.

·
334 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Tubuzz!

I think it was the water pressure change.

Either that or the old saying comes to mind. "The better to see you with".

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Kind of the same way Perch spew thier air bladders when you pull them from deep water. Or it could be a injury form spawning. Some days you just dont know what you going to pull from the lake.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Try Visine in the lievewell next time.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts

Did the fish look like this?
Two of our 12 fish that we caught today out of Edgewater had an eye like this.
Another balast bug?:(

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
If you look closely it looks like it has sand in its eye:p

·
Registered
367 Posts
great picture Donkey!

most of you guys have probably seen those tumors that happen on the outside of the fish- usually in the spring. I've talked to the DNR guys about that and they said it's a virus that's nothing to worry about. they said the fish get stressed from the spawn and are more prone to catching it. i haven't seen that bulging eye thing yet but i wonder if it's a similar thing?

pik-n-fin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts