Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this crazy cold weather that's been blowing through how's the fishing been for everyone?

I have only been out once since this weather started and i didn't catch very much but the bass and channel that i did catch were pretty big.

I was just curious how this kind of change would affect the fish. Will bass be hanging out down deep. Will channels cats be in shallow water, are the fish going to not be hungry / lethargic, or are they going to start trying to fatten up for winter. etc... i'm sure i could scour the internet and find many answers but would like to know what you guys on here thought about this.

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
My last fishing trip was the best trip of the year for numbers. The fish are really active right now (the last 5 days or so at least). The water is WAAAYYYY warmer than the air when it is 60 degrees for the high. Some people *ME* love the fall bite and it is coming fast!!

·
GMR
425 Posts
This is one of the best times of the year in the rivers in my opinion. Like Lmr said I love fall fishing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
369 Posts
Brookville lake dropped 20 degrees in 4 days. Bass seem to be active and shallow.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses guys... pretty much what i expected. I never really paid much attention to weather, seasons, etc in previous years fishing. This is only the 2nd year that I've really become obsessed with fishing. I had guessed that fish would be trying to fatten up, but wasn't sure if the sudden change from 90* weather to 60* weather would negatively affect the fish.

Sounds like i need to suck up to the wife a little so i can get a night at the river.

Any particular baits, lures, or colors that seem to work better in the fall compared to summer? I seem to do pretty well on lipless rat-l-trap type lures (i usually use the rapala brand ones) and of course the rebel wee craw works pretty well. As the weather cools will fish be moving away from hunting crayfish and more towards shad and the likes? Or are they not that picky this time of year?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts