Hows the steel at Arcola Creek

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Firefighter-Dadfishin, Jan 9, 2009.

1. :cool: :cool: I figure by now someone would say something about Arcola creek in Madison for Steelies? they are running by now i know when i was fishing there years ago before the houses came it was good. 1st steelie was caught there in log jams in 1990 on red worms sorry memories. It was north of Cashen Concrete dont cross the Road o man watch out. So anyways hows the fishing at the MOUTH maybe.

2. It is more fun to catch them at Harpersfield.

3. Fish the Grand more fun more fish more challenge. Ditch fishin is for kids silly wabbit.

4. Place is alright, but I prefer harpersfield. Arcola gets too crowded for the small numbers of fish there. Plus like the post above, it's ditch fishing. but, on the other hand, it's fishable when other rivers are not!

5. :) Harpersfield Dam on the weekend is a great place to: cross lines, get in a fist fight, throw bait at skittish/distressed fish, slip on the algae covered bottom and fall in, then go home fishless and angry!:) Good luck wading through/with the crowds! If you want to catch steelhead and not a misdemeanor then fish the tribs or get away from the crowds!:)

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

File this one under "Steelhead posts that lead nowhere".......

7. It's great if you can get your offering down through the 4 inches of ice.

8. That is a big file;)

9. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Borat likes to fish there......very niiice.... I take'a your spot then mabey I catch a fish, no?

10. Dude, it's really not that bad there. Even on the weekends......The river is sooo wide there is a lot of water to fish. I have seen some crowds up there, but have always been able to find a secluded spot to get some chrome hooked up. You are right about the algae though, just take it slow! Never had a problem with other people there, they are actually friendly, it MAY just be you!

11. i agree with carpman ive been up there a half a dozen time and never had a problem everybody is pretty friendly

12. bigcats28

bigcats28 I'd Rather Be FISHING

I was at Harpersfield last Saturday, and the "cold" weather put a stop to the crowds. Plus, the Grand is so big that you can almost always find a somewhat secluded hole

13. I was working a small stretch of water when some "flyfishers" came up behind me. they seem to travel in packs in this day and age. they asked how I was doing, I said something like, "not too good". then all 3 of them proceeded to walk directly through the small run I was working.

edit: this was at harpersfield.

14. bigcats28

bigcats28 I'd Rather Be FISHING

Yea, it happens sometimes. Doesn't really matter how a person fishes, sometimes people think their time and spots are more important than yours, even when there is plenty of river

15. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Don't call Parma a kid and pick on his honey hole!:p :D

16. ParmaBass

Salt Jockey!

17. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Lots of people want to have a "salt jockey" friend this time of year!:)

18. ParmaBass

I'll be over soon, getting low!

19. Thanks for the replies about Arcola was just curious about the creek like i said i havn't been there since i was 15 which is 1990. Thanks for the info.:)

20. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Dang near made me choke on my lunch!

:p :p :p